cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an SMTP server - sending mail to AOL.com

silverfox

Anyone noticed that if you use an SMTP server, you are unable to send a mail direct to AOL.com

If you turn debugging on on the SMTP server you basically see a load of status messages that read

Attempting to Connect: Host mailin-03.mx.AOL.COM, Port 25, SSL Port 0, Connecting Domain host.domain.com
Connection successful
The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic IP address. AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions from this IP address until your ISP removes this IP address from its list of dynamic (residential) IP addresses. For additional information, please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
Attempting to Disconnect:
CommandQUIT:

This is probably down to AOL placing unduly harsh restrictions on connections, however, I am annoyed that Plus.Net have not picked this up and attempted a resolution. :!:

M

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Post moved to a better location.]
5 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, it's a pain. I "bounce" AOL messages via relay.plus.net

Gareth
Community Veteran

Re: Using an SMTP server - sending mail to AOL.com

This is probably down to AOL placing unduly harsh restrictions on connections, however, I am annoyed that Plus.Net have not picked this up and attempted a resolution. :!:

M

If you do a brief search on the forums for 'aol' and 'email' you will see at least 6 threads on this topic.

It *has* been picked up by Plusnet, but there is nothing that they can do.

Barry
N/A

Well there is. They can question AOL's decision, and try to get it revoked, which is what they're doing.
N/A

The message posted above, does not relate to the issues of sending through relay.plus.net of last week.

AOL have pretty much removed the abilty to send directly using MX records from your dial-up/ADSL connection on PlusNet.

This is what AOL call spam provention/protection.

What AOL have done is perfectly legal, and you are very unlikely to have this block removed.

AOL try to control the spam, by desigating each ISP with a trusted e-mail server. This makes thigs far easier to shut off, if they feel there is a problem with spam from that ISP.

To my knowledge, the block AOL had on PlusNet last week has been fixed.

With the spam issue ever growing, main server managment is more important than ever. Small end SMTP servers are slowly growing tot he idea that dynamic mail routing needs to have a rules system to provide static routes too.

This allows for specific e-mails, to be routed via different servers, including routing based on destination server subnet, or the MX domain.

In on the windows platform, I recomend Mailtraq. It provides a lot of usful stuff including the dyanmic routing.
N/A

AOL sucks!

Same problem here. I just want a simple SMTP server for outgoing messages - independent of PlusNet - with no limitation on attachment size. I'm using PostCast which is free, and haven't had any probs sending mail to anyone else until I tried sending to a mate on AOL.

As has been pointed out, this is not the fault of PlusNet - after all, if you're sending mail with your own SMTP server it's not going via PlusNet! This is entirely down to AOL's over-reaction in an effort to 'protect' their members. Of course, by 'protect' I mean 'confine'. They don't care about letting their members enjoy full access to/from the entire internet and it's myriad communities (warts and all), they're more interested in restricting members to the AOL system. AOL sucks!

You'll find more info at http://postmaster.info.aol.com

Thanks for the Mailtraq link, Philip - but it's much more fully featured than the simple SMTP server I need.

It's AOL (and the spammers) who are to blame for the problem - and we should be persuading AOL users who we know to move to PlusNet and enjoy the freedom/speed/price of a real ISP!!! And to deal with the spam, they just need to install a good anti-spam app like MailWasher.

In the meantime, the solution - as Gareth says - is to route mail for AOL users via PlusNet. Alternatively, use an online (web-based) account to contact the poor sods!

Paul :twisted:

PS - IMPORTANT!! If you're using your own SMTP server, please make sure you configure it properly - with a firewall - so it's not available for anyone else to use (via the 'net) to relay spam!