cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a cheap USB handset

Dizzley
Grafter

Ages ago, I got a cheap USB handset that came with Skypemate. How do I get this to work with X-Lite or equivalent? There doesn't appear to be a driver with the phone.

Pete
6 REPLIES
N/A

Cheap USB handset

I have a cheap handset bought for use with Skype.

I appears to pick up OK with xLite, there is possibly a problem in it changing the sound settings to putting everything out through the handset rather than speakers.

Once my 240 inclusive minutes appear I may have a better idea re this
pint
Grafter

If your after a USB phone to use with Xlite, then either the Cyberphone K or cyberphone W will work, with the number keys working as well.
if you go onto the X-lite suport site/forums by clicking on the question mark on the Xlite phone you should be able to get more information.
N/A

I have set the USB settings in System Settings as

Preferred USB phone (default)
Speaker Audio device: Generic USB Audio Device
Microphone Audio device: Generic USB Audio Device
Ring Audio device: Sound card

and it all seems to behave. Certainly it quite happily made a call when I got home this evening, the inclusive minutes having come online.

I am running XP SP2 on a new machine since I got the USB phone and it just found the device.

Perhaps I was just lucky, but the phone is a no name cheapy from Ebay via Hong Kong if I remember rightly.
Dizzley
Grafter

Thanks for all that. The phone mic and speaker now work fine with X-Lite but the keypad isn't supported and never will be.

Pete
Dizzley
Grafter

Woohoo! Cheesy

I found a driver for my typical cheap handset here: http://www.echostore.com/skype-phone-mobile.html.

They have a X-Lite driver/companion program here:
http://help.echostore.com/Skypephones/X-TenMate.zip
It works just like the SkypeMate program which came with the phone.

Now the keypad works fine.

Interesting site too.

Yours happily,
Pete
Dizzley
Grafter

If anyone's interested: these handsets appear to be the same ones available from Tesco for their VOIP product and at £30 a pair (£20 for one) they look like a bargain if you want to get using PlusTalk quickly.

Pete