cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Domain name

N/A

Using a Domain name

I have had a domain name registered with Nominet for some time, but never used it. If I transfer it to PlusNet how much will it cost? Also, assuming I have done that, will my email address change, or can I use that domain name for my email address? If I leave PlusNet will it cost to take the domain name with me?

I trust it is ok to ask this here, I know there are plenty of friendly knowledgable folk arround.

TIA
John
5 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Using a Domain name

Who did you register the domain name with?

The best way of doing it, in my opinion, is to transfer in "DNS Only" which means whilst the domain is actually 'hosted' by Plusnet, all the billing side of things are dealt with by your registrar still.

This means that you wont have to pay Plusnets very high charges for renewal every year and only the smaller charge of your registrar.

All you need to do, in this case, is change the nameservers to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net. You can usually do this in your domain name registrar's online control panel. You then need to wait for these changes to propogate (24 hours or so) and then raise a ticket with Plusnet support.

Depending on your account type, there is usually no charge for hosting a domain. Both Broadband Lite and Premier Accounts include 3 hosted I believe.

Your email address can be either as it is now, or as part of the domain. Basically all your email addresses you have setup now (i.e. address1@towill.plus.com, address2@towill.plus.com) will simply apply for your new domain, e.g. address1@domain.co.uk, address2@domain.co.uk. You do not need to change any of the email settings for receiving mail, and you will still be able to receive using the original @towill.plus.com address also. You may however wish to change the reply address to your domain one, in your email client.

I hope this explains everything, it's late and I am tired. If you need anything clarified, just ask.
N/A

Using a Domain name

Thanks for that Liam, I have just returned from a day and half away, I will review that when I am not so tired, if I have any follow ups I will ask them here.

Cheers
John
N/A

Using a Domain name

I am hosted by 123.Reg, I have changed the 2 nameservers as you suggested, now they say wait 48hours. How will I know the change has been propogated, or do I just go ahead after 48hours?
TIA
grahambritten
Grafter

Using a Domain name

Check that the domain has propagated by doing a WHOIS.

If the nameservers have changed you then need to raise a Contact Us Ticket with PlusNet. You need to ensure that you only ask for the domain to be hosted and NOT become the billing or Admin contact, leave that with 123reg.com because it will be cheaper for renewal.

Hope this helps.
LiamM
Grafter

Using a Domain name

There is a relatively long path you can take through the Contact Us Wizard to get throught to DNS Only Hosting.

Goes like this :
Technical Support >
Domain Names >
Transfering an existing domain name in to host on my account >
Any .uk Domain >
Manual Transfer (DNS Only Hosting)