cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Plus.Nets SMTP Servers Outwith MY adsl

N/A

Can plus.net's smtp (outgoing mail) servers be used to send mail outwith my home connection.

For example I can set up my mail client in the office to receive emails from my plus.net account, but not to send them. Attempting to use a locally run SMTP server which sends emails via the internet is not ideal - as some isp's block emails which have been routed over the internet as apposed to an SMTP server.

Yeah I could use the plus.net portal to send my outgoing emails, but it would be nice to be able to send mails from, for example outlook express on my work PC.

To summarise, I would like to use relay.plus.net to send emails from work I've tried using my login details for authentication, but this fails.
1 REPLY
N/A

Currently, to use the relay servers you have to be connected via PlusNet. Idea #2250 was raised to allow authenticated SMTP on all accounts, but this hasn't been completed yet.

Alternatively, for an extra £1.99/month you can subscribe to the "Essential Broadband services" package, which among other things includes the ability to use the relay servers from non-PlusNet connections.