cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of USB and sound card at same time

N/A

:? Just starting to use VOIP, and I bought a USB headset so that i could leave it plugged in and still use my speakers for radio/music. However if i leave the headset plugged in before switching on the speakers the sound card defaults to the headset.

It seems i have to unplug the headset before switching on the speakers and connecting to internet radio, and even then sometimes have to go to the Audio Tuning Wizard to adjust the speaker settings before the sound card sends the audio signals to the speakers.

All of this is tedious and takes few minutes to set up each time. Also its a pain to have to unplug the headset down underneath the desk, and defeats the reason for using a USB headset.

Anybody got any suggestions? :?:
5 REPLIES
N/A

i had the same

Hi,

I bought a usb phone as well and had the same problem. I don't know if this will solve the problem for you but what I did was to plug the usb phone in, then go to control panel sound settings and change the default audio devices to the computer's sound card. In each program I want to use the usb phone I change that program's settings to specifically use the phone rather than the normal sound card. This way normal sound comes out of the speakers and my calls use the usb phone with no need to disconnect the phone ever!

Hope this helps.

L
N/A

Hi,

Here is another idea to mention to you, after reading your posting. Its quite possible or quite likely that your usb phone & your audio card are conflicting at the IRQ level in the computer. i.e. might be trying to use the same IRQ or IRQ's for same service (this is at the level of how the hardware tries to use software for specific system services).

Each aspect of the hardware is given a dedicated IRQ even these days, so your keyboard, your mouse,graphics card, sound card, printer,etc,etc all get given an IRQ. Normally the IRQ's dont conflict when things work smoothly but when hardware clashes its often trying to use the same IRQ as another device (example the sound card & USB phone both want to use IRQ 10 say).

In the old days not that long ago with MS DOS for example it was possible to sort out IRQ related problems were devices conflicted like this by telling the machine which IRQ channels to use for specific hardware. So for example use IRQ 13 for my audio card & IRQ 5 for my USB Phone etc. This should still be possible even now a days with Windows XP & current hardware. This might be a solution worth consideration as a last resort if all else doesnt work out?

Ivan
N/A

My solution

Thanks. I eventually found the same solution, and although it seeemd to take me some time to train the default settings to be the ones I wanted on start up, as it initially defaulted back to the USB headset, it eventually learnt.

All this was in Win2K, i'm just in process of installing a new PC with XP Pro, so hope I can train this more easily.

Smiley
N/A

My solution (2)

Just seen Ivan's post after I posted my reply to Laurent!

Good idea about the IRQs though, this could have been the problem. Used to be much easier to sort this out in MS-DOS in the old days when you could see the list of IRQs and change them manually.

I'll see what happens when I install the USB phone on the new machine, and bear that in mind.

Finger's crossed!

Bill
N/A

Hi Again,

Good luck Bill, let me know how you get on with that?

Ivan