cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of FTP for daily data transfer

N/A

I am involved in a project which involves transferring data daily from several sites to a cental location for processing. Would FTP ing the data to a website for later collection be a reasonable method or would it be frowned upon?

I would be grateful for any suggestions for alternative methods

Thanks
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I dont see a problem but be aware of the daily transfer limits for data to and from your webspace. 250mB per day for home accounts and 500mB for business ones.
Galaxy
Grafter

Can you/someone confirm what the limits cover, for example, if you have standard webspace and CGI webspace, do you get 250mb on each, or 250 in total between the 2?

Also, what about transfers limits, is this again, 250mb for both or each?
Community Veteran

You have a total of 250MB of webspace which you can share amoungst www, cgi and fp servers or use it all up on one of them.

The 250MB/day traffic applies to all your webspaces (www, cgi & fp) in total. It is not 250MB traffic for each server. I don't think FTP transfers are included in this daily traffic allocation - it is web access traffic that is counted (i.e. pages served by the Apache webserver), not FTP transfers.
Community Veteran

Im also not sure on the FTP traffic Peter, whether or not it counts as part of your daily limit. This would have to confirmed by Support to get the definative answer.
Community Veteran

52.2 You are allowed the amount of Web space and bandwidth per day for page views and downloads from your web space, as described here.

I have since managed to find the above in the legal section of the forum.
Unfortunately the words "as described here dont lead to any link."

So without an answer from CS. I read that this means Uploading is not counted but any subsequent downloads Ie reading pages or actual downloads of files by anyone browsing your site counts.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The 250MB transfer limit is purely for HTTP traffic and is measured seperately for each of the servers (homepages, cgi, and FrontPage).

The FTP traffic isn't measured and so isn't included in the 250MB limit.
Community Veteran

Thanks Dave That clears it up Cheesy