Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted HTTP traffic

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Unwanted HTTP traffic

Hi, not sure of the correct forum for this...

I've been noticing excessive bandwidth use on my PN link recently. I initially thought it was down to some bugs in a system I am building but I have tracked it down to what I think amounts to web server abuse.

I run Apache and have noticed in the access logs many entries that seem to be asking my server to get pages from a remote server. See the example below:-

61.175.128.205 - - [13/Oct/2005:00:00:04 +0100] "GET http://partners.mygeek.com/search.jsp?partnerid=99061&query=Acyclovir&ip=212.xxx.xxx.xxx HTTP/1.1" 200 199

I've had to shut off my port 80 until I get a solution to this. I would expect there is something in Apache which can prohibit these remote GET requests, as there seems to me to be no legitimate reason to ask a web server to get a page that is on another web server.

Has anyone else experienced this ? It's been costing be 200-400Mb per day!!!
Shockedops:
2 REPLIES
N/A

Unwanted HTTP traffic

It would seem you have apache configured to act as a proxy.

This is done by use the mod_proxy module.

Check your apache config files for the line "ProxyRequests on", and change this to "off" or remove the line.

By default (IE, excluding the line) it is set to off, so it must be explicitly set to on, for people to be abusing this.
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Unwanted HTTP traffic

AHA!!! :idea:
That will be from when I was playing with proxying Wink
I'll be turning that off tonight!!!
Thanks.