cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Domain name

N/A

Unwanted Domain name

Hi

I currently have two domain names hosted with plusnet, but i want to get rid of one of those, how do I go about this

Will I be able to put my domain name up for sale, say on ebay or with a broker, then just transfer this name to someone else?

Basically this site was just for a university project which i finished, and i know no longer need it, and I want to get two more domains and host them on my space, thus this would exceed the 3 domain hosting limit.

Or Could i just do something along the lines of "turning off" this domain (ie stop it being hosted with plusnet?) then set up my 2 new domains?

Cheers

Kev
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Unwanted Domain name

Once registered to you a domain name is yours for 2 years with the option to renew it at the end of that term.
If you don't renew it then it just lapses and becomes available to others.
You can't sell it or transfer it officialy to someone else as far as I know.

Best bet seems to be just close it down and ensure that you don't have it set up to be renewed by PlusNet as they will do this unless you tell them not to.
N/A

Unwanted Domain name

How do i go about closing it down?

Thanks

Kev
Community Veteran

Unwanted Domain name

What happens when a Domain Name is registered?
This is a question that we get asked fairly commonly. What exactly is the difference between Registering and Hosting a Domain? The most important thing about Domains is that each of them is unique. Obviously, the Internet wouldn't be able to function if more than one person had the same e-mail or Web address. This is the job of the Domain Registrars then, to make sure that only one person or company holds a particular Domain Name at any one time. When you register a Domain, the registrar will run a check against its database and only allow you to register it if no-one else has already done so. Once your Domain Name is registered it must find a home to live. It must be 'hosted' by an ISP. Hosting your Domain will mean that the ISP will point e-mail and Web traffic to it. In other words, mail to bob@myaccount.anyISP.co.uk will be forwarded to bob@myfabdomain.com. Hosting then, allows you to actually use your name, whereas registering simply makes sure that no-one else can use it!

The above is from the info found by following the Domain names link on the left.

Reading it I cant see anything that mentions how to close it down and indeed it says "Once your Domain Name is registered it must find a home to live. It must be 'hosted' by an ISP." so to me it looks as though unless you can transfer it out to somewhere that does free oir cheap hosting then it will have to run until you let it lapse.

Maybe a ticket to link:Contact us will clarify this for you?
Community Veteran

Unwanted Domain name

you can sell them however the transfer fees are higher than the cost of registering a domain IIRC and only really good domains are likely to sell for much.

If this was a free domain with an account, you can't take out another free one once this one has lapsed / moved / sold.

Chris
N/A

Unwanted Domain name

just been looking into this, as mine was renewed without me knowing, even though I have no use for it anymore Sad

dunno if it costed me anything though, as I couldn't see any payments being taken due to that..... oh... hang on..... £1 per month.....

anyway, but you can surrender your domain via here

the only thing that concerns me is what would happen? you cancel via nominet, will plus.net stop taking payments, or do payments continue until the expiry date?
csogilvie
Grafter

Unwanted Domain name

If the option for the £1 domain is enabled, you pay it whether there is a domain associated or not.
N/A

Unwanted Domain name

to be honest.... it was that long ago.... I don't remember :|

I've amended it now, so that it expires when it is set to expire.

although I've only used it a bit when it was first done, I suppose £1 per month ain't breaking the bank, only 5 packets of cigs over 2 years Smiley