cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undelivered email messages

N/A

I'm getting quite a few emails with the Swen virus in it which my AV software is picking up but I am also getting a lot of 'undelivered' notices to weird email addresses. Are these connected? Scans of my system don't report any virus's
10 REPLIES
N/A

Yes they will be.

The viruses uses a fake from address when it sends out.

When defining fake, we mean it isn't a legitimate addresses assigned to the machine the virus is sent from.

In many cases, it is a random address taken from the infected system.

You may or may not know the person sending the virus, as your addresses can end up on the system for many reasons, including when somebody forwards a message to both you and a list of many other people, who in turn forward again.

The problem with this random from address idea is that, when the virus sends to an address that no longer exists, or mailwasher bounces a message (which should be made illegal, and infact is RFC non-complient), it goes to the from address, which in this case is you.

There s little you can do accept to delete them when they arrive.
N/A

To which RFC do you refer? Is it the one on SMTP, which is now described in RFC2821? Or some other RFC?

I assume what you're getting at is that the destination email address is legitimate -- so the mail is deliverable -- but programs, such as MailWasher, for their own reasons ("this mail is spam") act as if it is undeliverable and send an "undeliverable" message back.

Thinking about it -- even without considering the RFCs -- you must be right, for MailWasher and similar programs cannot send an "undeliverable" response until they've had a chance to scan the email and make their determination as to its "spamness". In order to do that, the mail must have been accepted by the receiving SMTP server, so the sorts of exchanges dealt with by the RFCs are already over and done with -- the receiving SMTP server had its opportunity to reject the mail on the basis of it not being an address to which it can deliver, but it did not do so. Therefore, any rejection message which is sent subsequently is not a rejection message arising out of the protocols described in the SMTP RFC and it is inappropriate to pose as such.
N/A

Ahh, very well true.

However, this is not the intended action I talk of.

I see in the region of 13 legitimate bounces per day, and 32 fake ones. 2 in those 32 are usualy from sending to postmaster addresses.

Bouncing a postmaster address is RFC non-compliance.
N/A

Uh?

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I'm a simple soul who is not even trusted to set the correct station to record on the video recorder. I even have to spell full words whenever I text someone on my phone, much to the despair of my son and daughter.

Can I just ignore these undelivered messages?
N/A

I'm confused by the word "ignore" (see Test Post), but if by "ignore" you mean "delete", then yes, go ahead, "ignore" them from your system.
N/A

What the f**k are you on? My dictionary defines ignore as "refuse to take notice of" i.e. I can just leave them as they are because they aren't a problem.

I followed the link and still can't understand your reply.

As an old fuddy duddy am I missing a wry sense of humour which is going totally over the top of my head? I must admit I saw a bit of Beavis & Butthead once and didn't get the joke. I'm sure you and your mates are killing yourselves laughing over your reply but even my kids can't explain it to me. (and these guys can text in consonants, believe me)
N/A

It was just a bit of humour carried over from another thread. Basically, these emails which you receive are fake. You can delete them from the server.
N/A

"robinson20": I'm sorry to have caused offence -- it wasn't intentional. As "eurotrain4" says, my reply was intended as a bit of humour (and not at anyone's expense, by the way) based on that other thread, in which the original poster had asked for it to be ignored, but people had responded with replies like "duly ignored" and so on. So, just as in that thread people had "duly ignored" the thread but had actually done something by responding to it, I wasn't sure if by "ignore" you genuinely meant ignore, or actually meant "delete". I had hoped that having said 'if by "ignore" you mean "delete"', the phrase '"ignore" them from your system' would then provide sufficient context to show I was, indeed, using the word "ignore" to mean "delete".

As for the substance I'm on, perhaps you will excuse me by putting it down to an over-dose of Lewis Carroll (Through the Looking-Glass, Ch.6, p.123).

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."

So, sorry if I caused offence, and I hope this explains what I had meant.
N/A

"robinson20": I'm sorry to have caused offence -- it wasn't intentional. .

Thanks for that. It didn't really cause offence I just didn't get it and was just having a bit of banter. My writings were meant to be taken in a light hearted manner but reading them again it's hard to get that feeling across in a message board. I must really try and learn how to put these Emoticons in the post .

At least you took the trouble to answer my problem and I am grateful for that
Community Veteran

Perhaps I should have *really* ignored the test post Cheesy

B.