cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

N/A

I don't think it matters from what IP you send the mail - according to the SPAMHAUS PAGE the blocked IP is 193.252.22.158 which resolves to smtp1.freeserve.com. The blocking seems to be at the end of the other person (on their mailservers which are blocking emails from freeserve's SMTP servers).
6 REPLIES
grahambritten
Grafter

Last night I sent 2 e-mails via my Freeserve account over the Internet as I was not on my home PC. This morning I've recevied 2 e-mails from the "Mail Delivery System" titled "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender".

The delivery error reports are as follows:-

Reporting-MTA: dns; me.freeserve.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:57:48 +0100 (CET)
Final-Recipient: rfc822; ******@btinternet.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host stargate.btinternet.com[194.73.73.117] said:
550-http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL12077 550 mail from
193.252.22.158 rejected: administrative prohibition (host is blacklisted)

and:-
Arrival-Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:52:53 +0100 (CET)
Final-Recipient: rfc822; ******@globalnet.co.uk
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host gr.mx1.global.net.uk[80.189.94.100] said:

Has anyone got any ideas what is wrong here?
Is it Freeserve? If so what can I do to fix it?

I've never had any problem sending e-mails to these addresses before.

Thanks
N/A

it would seen to be a Freeserve problem.

The headers of the messages received would help a lot more, as those two snippets are not the most revieling.
N/A

Actually I think that the snippets are revealing enough.

stargate.btinternet.com[194.73.73.117] said:

It looks like stargate.btinternet.com, which is the recipient's public facing inbound mail server, is using "Spamhaus", a spam blocking service, and if you look at the embedded URL it gives you it's justification:

http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL12077

This basically means that someone has been using your outbound mail server to send spam/fraud stle messages and the ISP (freeserve / wanadoo) has done nothing about it.

You can: contact freeserve and get them to fix their mail server from being a spam relay and get themselves unblocked from Spamhaus, or use a different mail server. From your message I got the impression that you were using a webmail service (you said you were not at your PC). Probably your easiest option is to use a different webmail service.

Thanks,

Charles.
N/A

You can: contact freeserve and get them to fix their mail server from being a spam relay and get themselves unblocked from Spamhaus,

Four legged animals with curly tails and wings spring to mind .... :roll:
N/A

I wouldnt bother contacting freeserve... been 3 weeks and im still waiting for a reply on this very same issue.

From what i can gather the mail server is rejecting your email because of the IP address your on when you sent the email.

IE, you didnt use your freeserve account to connect to the internet when you sent the email through their server, you were connected with plus.net

Im also pretty sure this is a recent change since theyve recently re-written alot of their freeserve web mail.

Can you confirm this?

I personally solved this problem by moving my old freeserve account to a 2nd plus.net account Tongue
N/A

I wonder if anyone can explain (in layman's Wink ) terms what this means.

I sent an email to a freeserve account with the word 'video' as the subject line.
The mail was bounced back with the following message:
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mail-in.freeserve.com [193.252.22.143]: 550 Error:
Message content rejected

I then re-sent the same message without the word 'video' and it went through OK.
This is someone who I email on a regular basis,and this was the first time a message ever bounced.The only difference was that I put the word 'video' in the subject line.
The recipient doesn't have spam-blocking software and hasn't set any message rules.
:?: