Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undeliverable mail messages

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have received dozens of emails with the MyDoom virus attached as weel as the Microsoft Security Alert scam, containing another virus. My AV software has had no trouble identifying them and isolating them all at all.

However, intriguingly, I keep getting obscure messages saying that mail has been undeliverable, usually because some address at Yahoo is unrecognised - but it is never the same. I am assuming that these messages are in some way connected with the virus attacks, because the addresses in question bear no resemblance to anything in my address book.

Can anyone explain these messages and is there any action I should be taking ? Has my address book been in any way compromised perhaps ? I have checked it and it appears ok. Similarly, I have run several complete virus scans of the system and nothing has been found.

Help appreciated
5 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Its probably that your address has been forged (or an address you've never used at your domain/username.plus.com) and you are getting the bounce message, as I've had a number of these myself.
HappyShrimper
Dabbler

But what can/should you do about it?
Community Veteran

There is almost nothing you can do about it as it's impossible to stop whoever is forging your email address.

You just have to live with it like everyone else, and there are millions of email addresses being used in this way by the spammers.

There is a tutorial about spam emails in the tutorials and FAQs forum with details on how this happens.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can't we spam the spammers ? :roll:
N/A

Show us a way, free, cheap or expensive, that will get rid of spammers, and we the comunity will.

For every method you use to combat spam, a spammer will ahve two more lines up.