cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unavailable and no info

N/A

Unavailable and no info

After the encouraging words on my 'What's the real charges' thread, I decided to give it a go.

The first time, I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me. I'm guessing this was a port forwarding thing. You'd think that would be a common problem with a high-profile mention in the online help, but no.

So I did some digging, forwarded some ports, and tried again. But this time, all I got was a Yorkshire recorded message saying there was a problem, and to check for status info on the portal.

I'm still keen to see if I forwarded ports properly, but that was days ago. The recorded message persists. The portal says everything is fine and dandy with Plustalk.

Now, do I want to take up Plusnet's offer of moving my whole telephone service to them? Ermmm......
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Unavailable and no info

So I did some digging, forwarded some ports, and tried again. But this time, all I got was a Yorkshire recorded message saying there was a problem, and to check for status info on the portal.

You might be calling a number that's busy - PlusTalk seem to give you the fault recording instead of a busy tone.

I'm still keen to see if I forwarded ports properly, but that was days ago. The recorded message persists. The portal says everything is fine and dandy with Plustalk.

Useful test numbers to call:
7000 - Echo test
**393411 - FWD interactive news system

I presume you've reported your problem to them though?
N/A

Unavailable and no info

Come back to this after despair and a new router (bought from Plusnet, so I don't see why they couldn't have told us how to set it up....).

The Plustalk setup help pages give me 4 UDP ports to 'open' for Xlite to work. Both my routers and their manuals have distinguished between incoming and outgoing traffic. Plusnet don't seem to have thought of this. I expect they think the answer to 'in, out or both' is obvious. It isn't to me!

I can hear myself on the echo test (even without opening any ports, by the way - don't know how that happens....)

All such an uphill struggle, this.
N/A

Unavailable and no info

Have you set up a STUN server? This should stop the need for you to worry about ports. Refer to this thread http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43778 and for information on STUN use this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN