cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install updates

N/A

I am currently using Windows XP Home (SP1) with Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall, McAfee Pro for anti virus and Aluria for anti spyware.

Windows Update states that I have two security updates to be installed but does not allow me to download them. Likewise, McAfee tells me that an update is available but again nothing happens when I try to download it.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?
7 REPLIES
N/A

What happens when you try to download the updates? Do you get an error message? will it not download them? does it fail when trying to install them?

Aaron
holdtight
Grafter

Is this from the auto update ?

have you tried going directly to windows update from the start menu
and manually downloading them
i have known mcafee to block things like the update site and zonealarm pro too and need a little tweaking to let it pass, you could try just relaxing the settings a bit to see if it will download then
N/A

XP firewall on?

turn of all ur firewall stuff and see if you can get the updates, If not, make sure your date and time are correct
N/A

XP Firewall won't block updates, since it's normally an outbound connection first. (Xp Firewall doesn't stop outbound connections)
Come on Buz....slipping lol Wink
N/A

The Microsoft error message is:-

"The following updates were not installed:

814078 Security Update (Microsoft JScipt Version 5.6, Widows 2000, WindowsXP)

Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2005 (KB890830)".

I have tried automatic updates and manual downloading but the outcome is still the same. It also makes no difference if I shutdown Zone Alarm.

When I click on McAfee to start the installation, it just exits the program.

I have also checked date and time, and both are correct.
N/A

Hi,

It should give you a reason why they were not installed , although you may have to select an option to get this.

It might be that they don't need to be installed, although normally it won't select updates that you don't need,. Strange

Have you tried to download the updates manually? with any updates within windows you can normally search for the Kb number and manual download and install the update.
N/A

Thanks for the advice.

I have tried to intall the Windows Updates manually; the 814078 update has been successfully installed but I had the following error message with the Malicious Software Tool:-

MemScanGetImagePathfromPidFailed: Access is denied.

I was also able to update McAfee while running in safe mode. However, I received a message advising that 'some components in ActiveShield are either missing or might not have been installed properly. Please reinstall ActiveShield'. I will do this later on and see what happens.