cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to browse after period of inactivity

fortyone

Hi - hope you can help with this annoying problem.

I am in the middle of setting up a home network, but am starting slowly, step by step to ensure I deal with each problem as it raises it's head. (I am no expert)

I have a netgear "all in one" modem/router DG834G but am not yet using it in wireless mode and so have the wireless side disabled. I have wired 2 pc's directly into the DG834G 4 port hub. One pc runs xp home and the other w98, with Outlook as the email client (from the xp machine) and IE6 browser on both.

Everything went fine installing the DG834G, with firmware updated to latest version.

On a normal day, I can browse the internet no problem from both machines and access emails.

However, on the xp machine, if I do nor browse for a while (approx 1 hour), it locks me out from browsing and comes up page not found each time. Yet it will still go out for emails successfully! And at the same time, the 98 machine browses normally . Rebooting the xp machine resolves the problem.... until another period of inactivity.

Last night, after lock out, I tested browsing using ip addresses and this worked fine. It is only when I use a url that I cannot get out, but a) I used url's earlier in the same session and b) the same problem does not exist on the W98 pc. So some form of DNS problem appears to exist from the xp PC but not permanently?

Power saving settings are only set for the monitor.

Any idea's please?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

When you are locked out try the following at a DOS prompt:

ping portal.plus.net

ping 212.159.8.37

ipconfig /all

nslookup portal.plus.net

nslookup portal.plus.net 212.159.6.9

And post what you get.

One other thing to try. Start->control panel -> network settings

right click on your network device and select disable.
do the same again and select enable

See if that fixes it.

Also what happens when you reset your router?
fortyone

Thanks for your swift reply.
I posted this problem after experiencing the problem consistently over a number of days and after all the things I tried last night had not appeared to work. However, the connection has been idle today for periods of 2 to 3 hours and yet for some reason it did not lock me out. So either a change I made last night worked - and maybe needed a power off/on to activate... or it is more intermittent than first thought.
Anyway, will monitor further and if (or when) it reoccurs I will try your suggestions and post the outcome as requested.