cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh - are we under attack? (Edited)

N/A

Okay - long story short...
2 computers on wifi, using ezProxy to share broadband connection. Up until recently both computers were running ZoneAlarm firewalls (free version) and AVG. The server computer seemed pretty much protected from intrustion - with results returning as the computer being in stealth mode.

BUT within the past two weeks - all internet connections on the other computer have become extremely unstable and eventually unusable. I'd had previous problems with proxy server settings being re-set periodically and so that was the first place I checked - on both computers. Everything appeared correct. (However connections to MSN were impossible, and connection to the internet was unreliable and would disappear for no apparent reason.)

TODAY, the internet connection on the other computer disappeared entirely. Even re-booting didn't seem to help. Out of curiosity, I opened the manager for the proxy to see what sort of error messages were coming up. And to my surprise, it appeared there were actually four connections to our proxy server. None of which were a computer in this house.

So, with my limited knowledge of internet security, I'm presuming that something somewhere is allowing other connections to our computers. My first step has been to make sure i've got the latest version of the firewall downloaded in full version rather than an update, disconnect from broadband, uninstall the firewall, reboot, and then reinstall the firewall - without having any programs enabled to access the internet without asking permission.

Is there anything else I can do? I've checked the server computer for spyware, adware, virus/trojans, made sure the windows updates have been completed, and everything up to date, including the proxy server program. I don't think there's too much information on our computers that could be of use to a hacker lol (unless they really want to know how i'm doing on Zoo Tycoon 2) but it still isn't something I want to be sharing.

Edit: Okay - everything is peachy until I enable the proxy server - so that's where the problem is happening. Any pointers on securing it better?

Thanks for your input!

Ilene
PS please bear in mind that layman's terms such as 'thingme' probably would be of more use to this noob than technical jargon ;-)
4 REPLIES
N/A

I think your problem lies in your wireless connection, and the security within that, or lack of security.

You need to enable all the security options within wifi, or otherwise people outside your house can jump on your connection.
N/A

Can I ask what IP addresses you found using your proxy?

This sounds very much, like an external user is using your computer as an anonymous proxy server. This is likely due to a misconfiguration in the proxy software.

Whilst you have have a firewall, it may be setup in a way that prevents it from treating proxy requests from external sources as hostile.
N/A

You could also try this software Airsnare

It's freeware and monitors your wireless connection for other connections and allows you to block them.
N/A

Problem resolved

Thank you for the insights and links. It appears that whoever was using our connection via the proxy server was able to change login details, which prevented me from altering the security settings. (That'll teach me to do it myself in the first place!) I had presumed the firewall would protect the proxy server.

The end result is I've uninstalled the previous proxy program, (attempted to reinstall it, but without messing around with regedit, I wasn't able to remove the altered password settings), downloaded a new proxy server program - discovered they were still able to use our connection, and set about setting up our proxy so that only one computer with a specific ip address can actually use it. Which seems to have worked.

Thanks again. Glad to know you guys are out there when us noobs panic. Wink

Ilene