cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Access

N/A

US Access

I think there may be a problem accessing US based websites. At present, I am unable to access my own website hosted on a dedicated server in the US even though my (US Based) server monitoring tools show the server as up. In addition I am unable to access the US based http://www.di.fm. This is the same for my friends (in the UK, but on different ISPs).

Is anyone else having problems?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

US Access

Listening to the 1PM news while driving home would seem to indicate that there are still parts of the States with no power.
This may be affecting your site.
N/A

US Access

This may be a result of routing loss caused by the current US Brown Outs.

While routing may be available cross state, international routing may be an issue.
Simon_M
Grafter

US Access

This may be a result of routing loss caused by the current US Brown Outs.

So much for the idea that Arpanet (as set up originaly by the US military) would keep functioning in the event of large chunks of it being disabled in a nuclear attack. Smiley

I think I read somewhere that the way the internet has actually developed in commercial practice has left far too much traffic going through too few physical locations, so taking out one major site has a large effect - particuarlly if everyone then gets on the internet to find out what has been going on & emails their mum to ask if she is ok! :roll:
Simon_M
Grafter

US Access

Just read your other post here Phillip which indicates it held up pretty well.

The main US - Europe connections would presumably have automatic generator backup, so as long as the internal US system held up (which it appears to have done), you would think the transatlantic stuff would be ok too.