cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Types of Voice over IP phones?

N/A

Hello,

1) Please can Force9 Plusnet recommend which tyepes of phones or devices can be used with the VOIP service.

2) Please could we have a tutorial or explanation of how VOIP works and please describe its benefits, for example can I only call other PlusTalk users for free or can I make calls to landlines and mobiles as well?

3) Equipment list or requirements for the service?

Thanks Ivan
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Ivan,

I don't know if it answers everything but there are a load of help guides on the portal.

Go to the A-Z index

http://portal.f9.net.uk/support/support_index.shtml

and scroll down to PlusTalk, if there's anything that you think would be useful to add let me know.
N/A

Hi dave, quick question:

on the suggested hardware that is shown in the 'PlusTalk Hardware' support section, can the hardware detect and forward PSTN calls and put them through to the connected "regular" telephone?? Basically what I am asking is can you put your main telephone onto these devices and still be able to use all the PSTN services?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If I understand the question correctly then the answer is no, it can't, but I might have misunderstood if you want to clarify it.
N/A

Yeah I'm not the best at explaining things sometimes! Smiley

That is the answer I thought I would get - VoIP aside, you still need to have a phone connected to the PSTN system to be able to receive calls and utilise BT services through your usual landline number (you cant do this through the PSTN connection on the advertised hardware).

I really do try to explain what I mean Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's how I understood, but yeah you still need a phone connected to the BT socket to use the BT PSTN service.
N/A

thanks for the info Cheesy
N/A

so is this TDMoIP and not VoIP ?
N/A

:idea: You can use a Zoom X5V router to use one phone for both jobs.

You just use a '#' before dialling to switch to VoIP.
If the router power is off (PC off, power failure etc) the phone still works on the phone line as if it was plugged straight in.
Any help to you :?: