cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two websites in one webspace?

N/A

Two websites in one webspace?

Hi,

I am trying to set up two different websites in my Plusnet webspace, and have set up two folders within my main htdocs folder. I have also removed any index.html pages including the plusnet 'standard' one from the htdocs folder, and have directed one of our domain web addresses to one of these two folders.

So why doesn't it work? upon visiting our web address, it comes up with an 'Index of -' page, however, if the page is then refreshed, it works correctly and takes you into the required website!

Any suggestions where I may be going wrong?

Many thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Two websites in one webspace?

with an 'Index of -' page, however, if the page is then refreshed, it works correctly and takes you into the required website!
>
> Any suggestions where I may be going wrong?
>
> Many thanks

This simply sounds like a cache issue.

Ask somebody else to visit the site, and see if it works first time OK.
N/A

RE: Two websites in one webspace?

echo the other replies I have about 10 personal websites on different topics and also have domain names for all of them - I host the domain names with Oneandone.co.uk as they offer an easy domain management and referral system and incidentally host a co.uk name for £1.99 a year! This has the added advantage that if I moved from plus net (heaven forbid!) switching my domains to a new address is a 10 minute job!

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up two different websites in my Plusnet webspace, and have set up two folders within my main htdocs folder. I have also removed any index.html pages including the plusnet 'standard' one from the htdocs folder, and have directed one of our domain web addresses to one of these two folders.
>
> So why doesn't it work? upon visiting our web address, it comes up with an 'Index of -' page, however, if the page is then refreshed, it works correctly and takes you into the required website!
>
> Any suggestions where I may be going wrong?
>
> Many thanks

--
N/A

Re: Two websites in one webspace?

Hi,

I am trying to set up two different websites in my Plusnet webspace, and have set up two folders within my main htdocs folder. I have also removed any index.html pages including the plusnet 'standard' one from the htdocs folder, and have directed one of our domain web addresses to one of these two folders.

So why doesn't it work? upon visiting our web address, it comes up with an 'Index of -' page, however, if the page is then refreshed, it works correctly and takes you into the required website!

Any suggestions where I may be going wrong?

Many thanks
Is the redirection done to a folder or to an actual web file (ie, it ends in .php or .html or .htm or whatever). Redirection to a folder, although it generally works, sometimes produces this problem you describe above. If you redirect users specifically to the http://www.whatever.com/thefolder/index.html you shouldn't get this problem.

Another workaround might be to create an .html file in the target folder called 'receive.html' or something that you direct your users to from the web domain. This file would just be the following:

<html><body><script language = "javascript">
<!--//Hide from users with older browsers
window.location = "index.html";
//-->
</script>
<p>You are being redirected to the site. If this does not occur in five seconds, please click <a href = "index.html">here</a>.</p>
</body></html>

However, I can't see how this should be necessary as long as the original redirection is done using an absolute reference (ie, begins with http://) and specifies the actual html page to be opened.

Hope that helps.

G