cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two sites -same webspace?

N/A

Having got one website off the ground I have been considering developing another, non-commercial site for a local self-help group. I am ignorant of the mechanics of this but I believe that it might be possible to have both sites running from my webspace at Plusnet. Is this possible? If it is, I would like to use FrontPage to develop the site so would it be possible to have both FP sites within my Plusnet webspace or would I have to have the second site in the FTP web space and not dependant on the use of FrontPage Extensions? Any help on the basics of this problem would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES
N/A

I am unsure if you can run two sites on the FP server as I personally do not use it.
However, you could do as you suggest and set up the second site on the normal www ftp site.
have you got access to the FP site as a redirect from the www server ?Huh
N/A

Thanks - yes, I am using the re-direct advocated by Moonphase. If I am to use either FTP or FP webspace I assume I will have to develop a script that will differentiate between the two sites. Have you any thoughts on how this might be done?
mossgrove
Grafter

I am doing more or less what you are wanting. Build two separate webs in FrontPage. Create a subfolder in your fp space on plus net and publish your second web to it. For addressing you can either put a page in your ftp space with select buttons pointing to the two separate webs, or (better ) open a "free" account for your second site, and redirect to the fp subfolder from there.

Hope this helps you.
N/A

Thanks Mossgrove. Ideally I would like to keep the two sites entirely separate so the idea of a sub-folder in the fp space does not really appeal (at least not until I know more about.). I'm not too sure what you mean by a "free" account. Could you expand on that for me please?
Community Veteran

What Mossgrove is suggesting is that you could sign up for a Pay As You Go Free account, which provides you with a little bit of "normal" webspace. On that webspace you could then create a redirect, which takes anyone who goes to www.yourfreeaccount.plus.com to fp.shawscorner.plus.com/subfolder.

Thomas
N/A

Thanks Kuglin, the "free" account is now clear. Presumably the re-direct would be set up in exactly the same way as the Moonphase redirect to my current fp website?
Community Veteran

Yep! Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Thanks chaps - it looks a good way forward.
pcorker
Grafter

Is there any problem with keeping a free dialup webspace account open?
Do you have to remember to dial in to it every 30 days or anything?
Pat.
(the pessimist)
N/A

IIRC - You only need to check the e-mail once every 30 days to keep it open, unlike most ISPs that use the last time you dialed up.