cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two broadband modems one ISP one telephone line?

N/A

I use a Wireless Broadband Modem-Router for my small network consisting of a Desktop PC (upstairs) and a Laptop. The laptop has a wireless LAN card but signals are very weak where I want to use the laptop most of the time downstairs. I have tried and given up on relocating the Modem-Router for a better signal and now I am wondering if I can connect my old Broadband Modem downstairs exclusively for my laptop, at the same time as the Modem-Router is connected to the telephone socket upstairs. I have only one line with extension sockets and am subscribed to only one ISP (PlusNet).
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You cant use both modems at the same time, only 1 connection can be made, although this can be shared between several machines (ie what you do with the router).

Chris
N/A

Thanks for your quick reply. Does that mean that if I attempt to connect a second modem elsewhere on the line it will not function or will doing so disconnect the first modem?
Community Veteran

The chances are both will discconnect and neither be able to connected due to both trying to reconnect.

Just uplug the router from the line when you want to use the modem downstairs, then unplug the modem downstairs when you want to use the router upstairs.
N/A

Thank you again.