cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to blog!

N/A

Trying to blog!

I have used iBlog for a while on the .mac server to post my weblog. Now I have been experimenting, trying to set up the same on my plus.net webspace.
What a nightmare!
Though iblog needs just a few setting to upload content, I just cannot find what they are for plus.net.
OK... so User name and password are no big deal.
Server name I assume is ftp.plus.net.
Its the 'Copy to Folder' that may be the problem. I have tried endless combinations of file paths inside my plus.net. webspace, some inc /htdocs, others excluding /htdocs, some with a leading / others without.
I always get the sme problem. the process falls over due to time out at ftp.plus.net.
Am I using the correct settings? I have used both Netscape Composer and dreamweaver to upload files without too much messing about. But this is infuriating.
The only way I can upload my blog is using dreaweaver to upload from my 'local' site.
My site www.majortom.plus.com is still under construction and this is driving me nuts! Cry
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Trying to blog!

What is this 'Copy to folder'. Can you explain what you normally do and where this info is needed. i.e. what is being copied? Does the docs with the package give you any examples - if so please post them here.

If you need the full path to any files on your www webspace, the path is:

/share/isp/plusnet/www/uu/username/htdocs/

Where uu is the first 2 chars of your username and username is your actual name.

Other than that I don't really uunderstand what your after.
N/A

Trying to blog!

'Copy to folder' is, I assume, the site site folder where iBlog will deposit the contents of the blog.
Thanks for the full path......I will give it a try.
N/A

Trying to blog!

Several hours later.......still no progress, the whole progress falls over at creating the file at the destination folder.
I have copied all there is in the HELP files/instructions about 'Copy to Folder' below in case it helps:

Copy To Folder: The destination folder on the FTP server to upload the HTML files to. Note: The path to the destination folder should be an absolute path (beginning with '/' for Unix based servers).
iBlog connects to the FTP server using the Username, Password and Server IP.. After successful connection iBlog changes to the destination ("Copy To Folder") folder. If the destination folder doesn't exist then iBlog creates one. Then iBlog proceeds to copy the appropriate files and folders from ~/Sites/iblog folder to the "Copy To Folder" folder on the FTP server. [~ is your Home folder]. After successful upload iBlog launches your default web browser to view the published blog's main page. iBlog reports any problems while uploading with an alert message.

The "Copy To Folder" path should refer to a folder on the server from which the web server can fetch the html files. Check with your server administrator about the web server "Document Root" folder and ask him/her where you can upload the html files. The website URL will depend on the path you set in the Copy To Folder path.
Community Veteran

Trying to blog!

Just create a directory called blog in your htdocs directory using an FTP program. Then just use /blog as the copy to folder. Your blog will then be http://www.username.plus.com/blog/something.html
N/A

Trying to blog!

Nope....that does not work either.
Yet again as iBlog begins to create the files within the new folder.....over it goes.
Had already tried your suggestion earlier on today, but for good measure did as you suggested again. Repeated the earlier failure(s).
Have emailed screenshots, error logs, settings etc to iBlog support to see if they have any ideas. Looks like it's back to saving to a local folder and ftp for now. Evil Evil Evil Evil
Community Veteran

Trying to blog!

What do you mean 'over it goes'?

There are some outstanding problems with FTP fle transfering which plusnet are trying to investigate. If your blog software is trying to FTP lots of small files to your www webspace, it may be suffering from this problem (FTP disconnects at the server side during a transfer). If you can set the transfer to use passive mode. If it already does this, try non-passive mode.
N/A

Trying to blog!

I mean: the upload stops dead in it's tracks and generates an error log that fills an A4 sheet.

Yes, my weblog test contains quite a few small files. No, I dont has a choice between active and passive mode.

Seems like I am not alone with this uploading problem today.

If it helps, I can email my last error log.
Community Veteran

Trying to blog!

Just post part of it here from the beginning to just after the failures start (hopefully it not much info). I may not understand what it says anyway but others may - don't forget to remove any passwords etc. You can email it if you want peter at petervaughan dot plus dot com.

Are the files it is FTPing to your webspace available on your local disk. If so, have you tried transfering them manually using an FTP client?
N/A

Trying to blog!

I have now used iBlog to create a test weblog page which it has successfully transfered to a local folder on my hard drive, but failed to transfer to my webspace.

I have then used Dreamweaver MX to transfer the files from my local drive to my webspace. www.majortom.plus.com/blog (which is what I am trying to avoid).

Have mailed screen dump, preference settings and log files to you.

So after a whole day, it's back to where I was at lunchtime! Evil

I'm off to bed, enough is enough for today(yesterday) !!!!
Community Veteran

Trying to blog!

OK, from the files you sent I think I understand what is going wrong, you need to try the following:

Set copy to folder to /htdocs/iblog/
Set timeout to 120
Everything else stays the same.

And try to copy the files again. You should then see your blog at http://www.majortom.plus.com/iblog/

The reason it does not work is as follows:

When you FTP to your webspace via ftp.plus.net, you are put in your FTP home directory. This home directory contains your htdocs directory (which is the home directory for your website URL http://www.majortom.plus.com ), and possibly a directory called logs (if you have enabled raw webstats) which you can ignore for now.

With your current setup, your FTP transfer is trying to create a directory in your FTP home directory (i.e the same one that contains htdocs). It is actually trying to create share/isp/plusnet/uu/username/htdocs/iblog. The reason it fails is because you are not allowed to create directories in your FTP home directory. You can only create directories in your htdocs directory.

My changes above will tell you FTP copy to create htdocs/iblog in your FTP home directory. As htdocs already exists, it will just create a sub-directory called iblog in it. It will then copy your files to the htdocs/iblog directory.

Your blog can then be accessed as http://www.majortom.plus.com/iblog/ .
N/A

Trying to blog!

This is almost exactly where I begun yesterday and a couple of weeks ago!

But, I have given it yet another try. Failed yet again. But what made matters even more frustrating was that resetting the timeout to 120 just prolonged the agony. I have also tried your suggestion but omitting the leading the trailing /. No joy!

Plusnet has had the server side ftp problem you speak of for some time now. It's about time it was sorted! I am not alone with this problem today as the forum suggests. (Nor the frustration)

With the time I have wasted today I could have purchased another 12 month sub to .Mac. But I am a Plusnet customer instead !

I am grateful for your attempts to assist me but it looks as if we are both flogging a dead horse.

Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil