cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble logging on to mail with Outlook Express

N/A

Recently I have been unable to log on to my mail account using OE. When I open OE and Click to download mail, the normal box appears with the messages " Connecting to PlusNet" and "authorizing" which is normal. However after a few seconds another box appears which says "Please enter your user name and password for the following server" : mail.plus.net.
My user name is themerrys+mail and my password has not changed (to my knowledge) When I click OK the box reappears after a few seconds. This continues and I am unable to downloadmail. I then get the following error message

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'Plusnet', Server: 'mail.plus.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Login failed.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I have a second user name which is themerrys (with the same password) and this works OK.
Sorry for being so long winded but this is really bugging me and so far no solution from Contact Us.
Any Ideas?
many thanks
Sandy Merry
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

OE has a habit of corrupting it's data. Your best bet is to recreate the mail entry in OE and see if that works.

Have you varified you can login with that info via the portal webmail - Just click on the Mailboxes link top left.
N/A

Hi,
I have tried deleting my dial up connection and creating a new connection - no joy. I have tried changing my password - no joy. When I click on mailboxes I frequently cant get a connection but after a couple of tries I eventually get through. I have used the new beta mail system a few times - could this be causing a problem?
cheers
Sandy Merry
N/A

The beta webmail program is just another method for accessing your mail but via a web browser, it would have no effect on the downloading of email via OE
N/A

Hi,
Problem now solved. I had to change my password again and then I was able to download mail. My password must have been corrupted somehow.
Many thanks
Sandt Merry