Trojan Checker

N/A

Trojan Checker

what does a trojan checkers do whats a trojan help me
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Trojan Checker

A trojan is a person who comes from the ancient city of troy Wink

But I guess that is not what you were really after: See http://www.google.com/search?q=define:trojan for several descriptions of what a Trojan is.

The word derives from the antient story of the trojan horse which was a large wooden horse that contained an army of men and when the horse was taken into the city of troy, the army within the horse captured the city.

Basically its is software that is contained within other software which you download or an attachment in an email which installs on your system without your knowledge and permission and can cause damage or will infect your files with a virus.

There are many different types of trojan but the common ones are to install viruses, open your PC for someone on the internet to steal your files, install keylogging software to get username and passwords and with the most recent Mydoom infection, will perform Denial of service attacks on certain web sites - in this case SCO and microsoft.

There are loads of tools around that can scan and remove trojans and viruses. They basically search your hard drive looking for know files associated with known trojans and removes them so they can no longer run or infect your system.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Trojan Checker

thanks if im running a web server and ive got a firewall and a virus protecter do i still need a trojan checkerHuhHuh
Community Veteran

Trojan Checker

I would recommend running one as most virus checkers arn't really designed to protect against trojans.

BOclean and Tauscan are two well known trojan scanner but there are loads of others, most are payfor though with a trial period. Some monitor memory for running viruses and some you just run to scan your hard disk at frequent intervals.