cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trend micro internet security suitable?

N/A

Hi I finally connected to Plusnet Broadband today and was wondering if the Trend Micro internet security package is good enough to guard my pc from attacks. It has a firewall but i'm not sure if it's any good....

Also I was wondering if the firewall on the Binatone ADSL 2100 router is any good?

Also I have loads of entries that my firewall has blocked saying:

"ICMP Destination Unreachable" and two that say "Security rule matched" If my firewalls are no good can you recommend me a good one?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Hi
I use the Trend Micro system including firewall, yes it works
think the "Security rule matched" means its working for you as well Tongue

Sure one of the techno's will have a better answer Wink
LiamM
Grafter

As a software firewall... i would never use anything other than ZoneAlarm...

My Netgear DG834G router is gd.... but it doesnt restrict outgoing access so i'm using ZA also...
N/A

The Binatone ADSL 2100 provides a basic but effective NAT based firewall. As for firewall software, I would stick with something like Zone Alarm (Version 4.5, not Version 5.0) , Sygate or Kerio. All these are free.

Since a router based firewall is not application specific, it's always advisable to have a software version as well.

Liam, did you read the article on certain ports being open on the DG834 & G model routers? Have you chosen not to add any rules on your outgoing connections?
N/A

bleh *pokes gadget*

also trend sucks in every way possible ,.. even NAV is better than trend.. get ur selfa copy of KAV 4.5 (not 5.. 5 seems a bad release number lol) and for a firewall sygate or kiro
N/A

I installed Zone alarm and so far the firewall has "blocked 0 access attempts" either this is a very good thing... Or it's not working. First it detected my Broadband connection as a home network and I changed in to internet.... But still no blocks.

Also I was wondering is Norton Personal firewall any good?

P.S

Is it a good idea to Run ZOne alarm along side Trend Micro?
N/A

You should only ever run one anti-virus and one firewall, any attempts to run more than will only lead to conflicts within the O/S.

You should be happy you've not got any blocked attempts, and just because you don't have any yet, doesn't mean the software is not working. To test it, go to Grc - Shields Up and select shields up, there are a number of tests you can perform to confirm your firewall is working correctly.

Stick with Zone Alarm Cheesy
N/A

How do I stop my computer to replying to a ping (ICMP echo) request? It says most personal firewalls can be configured to stop this, can zone alarm?
N/A

Set your internet security slider to high and this should stop it, however you may have to add a rule to stop this. I don't have that much experience with zone alarm to be honest. I will be keep looking and if I find something before someone else replies. I'll let you know straight away.

Aaron
N/A

Thanks for the help, i set the slider to high but it made no difference...so hopefully somebody can find me a rule I can use (and tell me how to use it). Or a seperate program to block them.

Also should I allow the following in ZA:

svchost.exe (Generic Host program)

inetinfo.exe (Internet Information Services)

They are both Microsoft...
N/A

yes to both of those apps and i dont think you can get ZA to block ping packets, as even if u stop allowing them on common ports any one who cares will change the desitination port :S.. i have only recently found out how to do it within my router and am working on a way to stop them.. if i sucseed ill post my info in a hope it will help you

buz