cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trend Micro GateLock - brilliant idea or white elephant?

N/A

There's a hardware device called the GateLock advertised on the Trend Micro website.

It claims to be a firewall and also to provide virus protection against email viruses. It costs £50 including the first 12 months of signature updates from the Trend website.

I can see a lot of advantages to using a device such as this ... if it works!

Anyone tried it and got any experiences to share?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, I've had one for a couple of months now. It's good.

Constantly updates itself (flawless) and intercepts all your e-mail traffic. It's caught several NETSKY and BEAGLE viruses before they even got to my PC. Norton Internet Security and NAV haven't done a thing since I installed my GateLock. Also protects against intrusions, but, since in my case, it's sitting in front of a ZyXEL security router, that part of the GateLock doesn't get too much of a look in.

I guess they're dropping the GateLock X200, since the price has dropped from £130 to £50 in the last couple of months :-( and that's including a FREE copy of Trend Micro Internet Security which, in itself, is worth £39. Still, Trend assure me that they will continue to provide support for it .. in fact there's a new Engine due to download (automatically) this very day.

Well worth £50!! An excellent little device.
N/A

Thanks for the reply ccherrington - I have to admit that after posting I found another thread which I think you had contributed to on this subject.

Mental note - search thoroughly before you post :!:

A couple of questions though

Can you request GateLock to do an engine download, for example when a new virus has been discovered and the scheduled GateLock download won't happen for a couple of days?

I have a wireless network running on a US Robotics wireless router. Presumably the GateLock sits between the wireless router and the broadband modem/router with daisy chained ip addresses?

If Trend are likely to drop the GateLock perhaps I should snap one up soon at what seems to be an excellent price for the bundle :!:
N/A

Yes, you can tell GateLock to "update now" at any time you like. Furthermore, you can configure the automatic "intelligent update" to check for updates at regular intervals anywhere between every 10 minutes and 24 hours. I get mine to check for updates every 2 hours. The update available check is very quick.

If it finds that there are updates to download, it does so, and then resets itself to activate the new virus patterns, engine, firmware or firewall rule set. This reset does effectively mean that you can't communicate with the internet whilst it is rebooting; the reboot takes about 15 seconds normally.

Just recently, it's been downloading new virus patterns anywhere between 1 and 3 times per day!

Your network configuration is different to mine, but you're right. The GL would sit between your BB modem and your router. The GL manual describes your situation exactly, except that the LAN side of your router is wireless. However, this doesn't alter anything. The manual describes 2 different ways to do it, depending whether or not you can disable the DHCP server in your router (GateLock does this).

I'm 100% satisfied with mine. Wish I had waited a couple of months 'cos the price has gone down a lot. The £50 price tag for the bundle effectively means that you're paying just £11 for the GateLock hardware. A steal. I've also bunged the Internet Security package on my PC and its loads faster than the NIS package it replaced.

Any more questions, please ask.
N/A

Thanks for this thread, I certainly like the look of this. Having had a good look at Trend Micro's site I cannot find any reference to the actual physical connection.

Does is come complete with necessary cable/s and from whence does it draw its power; i.e. will I need another mains socket?
N/A

Yes, it comes with all cabling required (i.e. power and Ethernet) and manuals. The free Trend Micro Internet Security package needs to be downloaded.

Power is from the mains. The usual mains to DC plug.