cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Nameserver out

N/A

Transfer Nameserver out

Hi Philip and thanks for the reply. It seems that the nameservers have changed and the new host has made the necessary redirects etc. I think it's just me being impatient - 24-48 hours is what I'm hearing a lot. So I guess I'll just have to wait a few more hours Wink

Thanks,
6 REPLIES
N/A

Transfer Nameserver out

I own a .com domain which is not through PlusNet.

I changed Nameservers so that the .com points to my PlusNet space a while ago and the transfer went very smoothly.

A few months down the line and I've now changed Nameservers again (!) to point to another site of mine hosted elsewhere (I needed cold fusion support)

Question is: how long does it take for the transfer to complete - 24hours? 48? Do PlusNet actually have anything to do in this case - or is it just an internet thing that happens once I've changed the Nameservers.

Do I need to raise a ticket at all?

Thanks!
N/A

Transfer Nameserver out

You would need to ask the company through which you perform the changes what time frames there system requires.

Plusnet have no say in the matter, as there purpose is nothing more than answering DNS queries and if you chose to use e-mail and webspace through them, serv the pages out.

After the updates are made, it could possibly take upto 48 hours for all servers to timeout any cache records and start using the new one from your new provider.

Are you sure your new provider have setup there name servers to answer for your domain?
N/A

Transfer Nameserver out

It depends on alot of things. Basically you will have changed the DNS zone on your domain provider who then has to make this change within their own DNS servers cache.

This info then needs to propagate out to all other DNS servers located around the world including plus.net's.

Factors such as the DNS zone timeout will greatly affect this. Not sure if your registrar will allow you to change this, but a lower refresh rate will mean a quicker update.

Dont forget though as well that just because you can see the new page in say 2 hours, parts of the world wont be able to due to their ISP's DNS zones being slower to update. In general therefore they usually say 48 hours is a reasonable time scale for the entire world to be up to date.

If you want to immediately view your new location, one 'workaround' could be to set your pc to use the DNS servers of your domain registrar. That way theyll be immediately up to date.

Hope this helps, but in general, you just gotta wait!

zebbedi
N/A

Transfer Nameserver out

Another note, have you told PlusNet to removed the records from there own systems.

Using there local DNS servers will still return the PlusNet hosted details to you and the PlusNet customer base.
N/A

Transfer Nameserver out

Thanks all for the replies. Being an impatient old git, I just expected everything to work within a few hours. I'll just have to wait the full 48 after all.

I may well raise a ticket to PlusNet as well, thanks Philip.
N/A

Transfer Nameserver out

Well done and thank you one and all, and PlusNet. After raising a ticket it was only a matter of hours before they actioned it and removed my domain from their records. Everything is working a treat now.

Thanks!