cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrent? trickle....

N/A

Torrent? trickle....

Since leaving blueyonder BB to plusnet adsl, torrent downloads have crawled to a halt. I rarely get over 5k/sec and mostly hover around the 1k/sec
is it throttled?
18 REPLIES
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

No :lol:
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

seems strange that I move ISP, and the speed drops summat chronic
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

I very rarely use torrents, however, I have no issue at all with them.

It does trickle until about the 7% mark, however, it then gains speed and fast. Though that is the nature of torrents.
michaelscott
Grafter

Torrent? trickle....

The speed of a torrent depends completely upon the speed of people uploading the file and how many people are trying to download it. It is mere coinicidence that your torrents appear to have slowed since moving to PlusNet.
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

And also your upload/download ratio, which is determined by your connection type. Check settings in your bit torrent client are correct for your connection type.
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

I have immense speeds, for almost everything I've downloaded via Bit Torrent. There's no way it's PlusNet's fault. You gotta get a torrent with plenty of seeds though because if there's no seeds, or only a few, you're not gonna get fast speeds, simple as that.

Is it anything to do with the BT client? I doubt it, but sometimes the default settings are strange on a few I've used. Try Azureus. It's a horrible resource hog, so best to leave it over night if possible, but this is the best client I've seen yet. It's Java based, so you'll need the latest (Sun) Java. Once that's installed, stick Azureus on there and off you go.
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

ninjastyle
I've installed Azureus and its flying along, it looks like i'm back in business. I had the Shadows Experimental installed, and thats what I was using, for some strange reason its crap? But never mind, your a star, cheerz matey.
michaelscott
Grafter

Torrent? trickle....

Ah. Every BT client that I've used that was based on Brahm Cohen's original (including shadow's) always ended up stopping the download or slowing to less than 2Kbps and eating up 100% CPU. I switched to azureus and have never looked back.
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

hi, make sure u have port 6881 open, cause i do get a performace drop when it is not open, sometimes 20-30k or so....BT's been flying for me the past few days, 50k most of the time Cheesy
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

used shadow and now tornado, including the main orig bit torrent proggy- all slow as hell.

i've even tried to open my router ports, disabled zone alarm, but it's still dam slow.
used this web site- http://www.grc.com
but it says all ports are on stealth mode

my router/asdl modem is a Thompson/ Alcatel Speedtouch 530- using a web interface.

will try the Azureus proggy but i do'nt expect much diff Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Torrent? trickle....

The plusnet IP range has been added to a p2p peer guardian, so if your in 212.159.0.0 - 212.159.127.255 then your on a blocked IP list for anyone using an IPfilter list.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

Oh nice. I bet I know what caused that too!

However, those Peer-gureian lists are now prooving to be more of a hinderance than the original intention.
N/A

Torrent? trickle....

azerus does not start up, i d/load tje java stuff and still no joy.

am using the bit torrent shadow/tornado proggy Sad

is plusnet port throttling Bit torrent and it's clients ?
Community Veteran

Torrent? trickle....

PlusNet don't restrict or throttle access to any services except if your using the ADSL Home surf or Biz Surf accounts, which block the common p2p ports and binary newsfeeds.