cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiny little question about my PlusNet mail account

N/A

Hello all...

My 512 ADSL is still not fully activated yet due to some terrible difficulties I had with Tiscali not freeing up my line (see my rants on ADSLGuide.org!! Smiley), but I think it's great that I can still use all the features of my PlusNet account. So first of all, I'd like to say that I think PlusNet's support team is AMAZING! I have never known such service from any company ever, especially Ian Wild. Thanks for all the help so far.

OK, my question is... when I send an email from my PlusNet account, the recipient sees my full name rather than my PlusNet username -- is there an option to change this? I can't see it if so, but please excuse me for asking such a newbie kinda question, it just wasn't an obvious option.

Thanks in advance!

Moderators note (John) Title converted to lower case. Please do not use all capitals as it means SHOUTING on the internet.
15 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Where are you sending the emails from?
N/A

I'm sending them from my PlusNet mail account, it's already active, so as a test I sent a message to a Hotmail account of mine. My account here has been active for several months but I had some problems with Tiscali not freeing up my line, Now it's free, the only thing now is I'm waiting for the modem, etc, which I should recieve within the next few days. Can't wait to say farewell to 56k...

BTW, sorry (John) for the caps lock in my thread title... oops.
csogilvie
Grafter

Sorry, what I meant was "What email client are you using to send"?

Is it the Webmail on PlusNet or an email client on your computer?
N/A

And I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't use an email client on the PC, just using the webmail on PlusNet.
csogilvie
Grafter

It doesn't appear to be possible to customise the From: Name on the Webmail System, or if it is, I can't see the option.
N/A

OK mate, thanks for trying.

If anyone else does work it out, please inform me!

I guess the only way I'm able to do it is by creating another mailbox with a different name? Not sure, but sad as it may seem, I wanna use my DJ name that people know me by (DeeSwift) rather than my full name!
Community Veteran

You could use an email client like Outlook express where you can do what you want. It's easy to setup and much easier to use than webmail.
N/A

I'll be honest, I tried setting my Outlook Express up a few times before (I'm on XP Pro, btw) and I couldn't sus out the POP3 bit! I gave up trying to find out what to put here after a while a stuck with my hotmail account! Call me stupid, but I just couldn't set it up.
csogilvie
Grafter

Incoming server: mail.plus.net
Outgoing server: relay.plus.net
With your usual username and password./
N/A

Very helpful, thanks... I'll give that a try now.
N/A

Bah... still getting errors.

I used the incoming / outgoing details you advised, chose POP3, used my PlusNet username and password but it won't send anything.

Sad
Community Veteran

Just confirm that you are in fact dialed up via PlusNet and not tiscali :?:

Otrherwise it wont work.
N/A

It's oK, I'm gonna stick with webmail, it really is too much trouble... which is typical because as most of us know, anything to do with Micrroshaft is always unneccesarily complex.

Thanks all the same!
Community Veteran

Maybe you just need to be a little more patients and with our help you can achieve what you wanted in your first post.

Outlook Express 6 is easy to setup and should have no real problems - i'm sure many PlusNet customers use it - so it must be some config issues which we should be able to get sorted with some additional info.

Let us know if you want to persue this and we can then ask more specific questions.