cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwing the towel in

N/A

Throwing the towel in

I have come close a number of times in the past (notably after the first "usage caps", then after traffic shaping) but the time has come, after three and a half years. I have to move ISP's.

I just can't take this any more. My connection is barely usable, and I can't talk to anyone about it. Having worked in the front line of IT for 14 years, I find it astonishing that people have to raise tickets, or press 1 for this press 2 for that. All I want to do is speak to a human who has a clue and can give me some advice. PlusNet's support system and ethic is without a doubt, the worst I have ever encountered in 14 years in the business.

Anyway - the reason for my post is that I need an ISP to which I can migrate my domains, my mySQL database, and that will give me a static IP, a domain (such as pochard.plus.com) with infinite mail aliases as I have now. Preferably without usage caps and traffic profiling.

I've searched but all ISP's seem to lack one of the things I need. Does anyone have any recommendations - i.e. someone that does what PlusNet do, but does it properly?

Thanks
18 REPLIES
N/A

Throwing the towel in

IDNET , that is who I am using. Also you can get your domain hosted professionally for under £100 if you shop around, that will also let you use your multiple email names as I do. I now host my business site with Freestart and use IDNET for my braodband from today, already there is a huge difference in speed and quality from PN. Currently downlaoding a torrent of Ubuntu at 700k down and no drops, at last a usable service all for 24.99
N/A

Throwing the towel in

sounds good, im also jumping ship, i pay an extortionate amount of cash for my so called business line. what on earth are PN doing? they only allow you to use thier network aslong as your 8mb line never goes above 512k....weird...

Been looking at cable also and there are some good deals if you can get it 10mbit unlimited dl etc.

see you on the other side Cheesy
N/A

Throwing the towel in

Unfortunately, no cable in my steet, and not going to be either. It's in all streets around, but no tours :-(

When I rang NTL they said they had no plans to expand the infrastructure to our street. :-(

Busy migrating my blog and forum to intermediary hosting. Once I know I can keep them up and running, I'm outta here.

edit: - idnet only give 30GB bandwidth for £24.99 ?

I use about 100GB a month lol... :-( (only 10 during peak hours of course)
shellsong
Grafter

Throwing the towel in

IDNET's no contention MaxDSL package sounds all well and good but the 30GB per month bandwidth is a little too constraining for my tastes, particularly at £1/GB for anything over-- if that was the figure for peak usage it might be tempting

Also I'd be surprised if that was true "no contention" since it's a MaxDSL package-- I'd expect BT's (at present) horrible local contention problems to rear their ugly heads even if IDNET's main network is uncontended
sinewave
Grafter

Throwing the towel in

I too am "on the verge" of migrating.

The key to this, I am convinced, is that you get what you pay for.

I like the look of IDNet too. Have you seen the AG forums for these guys? Or their own "unofficial" forum? Its nothing but chatty, kind, happy words. Its verging on weird!

But for £25 all you get is a net connection with a fixed IP and 30GB of downloading. No webspace, FTP, newsgroups etc. Not even a proper portal website. Even the email address you get is a bit cumbersome. They are clearly aiming at folk who who will pay for separate services, perhaps from different suppliers.

But do you know what? I'm happy with that. It makes so much sense to spread your services out to different suppliers (ie email from x, your websites with y and surfing with z etc etc). No internet co. can do ~everything~ perfectly anyway!

Imagine this:
no traffic shaping whatsoever
A simple rule of 30GB/month downloading (uploads are unrestricted) without (ever changing) peak times etc
Still no throttles even if you go over 30GB either - they just charge you £1/extra GB.

Thats IDNet.

Many wont like IDnet: it doesn't have a smily face pictured anywhere on the website, and of course, folk still think its an advantage to have ~everything~ provided by one company (even the phone lineHuh!!!!!!!!!). And IDNet ~is~ significantly more expensive once you take into account the cost of paying for other services you might need. IDNet are really aiming at business users but that helps to explain the fact that when you call them a real person typically answers within three rings(!).

There is now a common discussion in the UK - and now outside of the geeky forums - and its about sharing woes about internet suppliers. If PN have any sense they will recognise that there is - or at least there will be - a serious demand for reliable internet services with fast connections. If I was PN I would offer a premium service (at extra cost) for those folk that know what FTP is and can tell when their 4Mb/s speeds have dropped to 500kb/s. A service with no traffic shaping etc etc.

Thing is, things have got so bad I really doubt this company is up to it, regardless of price.

Please don't ask me why I'm still with PN - I ask myself this all the time and I never provide a good answer. And I'm positive that PN use this attitude in its business model.
N/A

Throwing the towel in

Shoddy customer service here definitely, and I'm off to Pipex's 8mb service. They don't have any useage caps on the "max" product but as for sql hosting...I'd go with a dedicated host. I use tsohost.co.uk for my stuff. I get a gig of space, and more functionality than I can wave a stick at - and I too have been working IT for 10 years! Good luck with the change over though. Took 6 days ish to get a MAC code.
N/A

Throwing the towel in

This topic does not fit with the spirit of our Community Support board, and as such I have moved it to a more appropriate place.

Feel free to carry on the discussion here.
N/A

Plusnet ranking

I'm afraid Plusnet has gone from the top position to the bottom and no one seems to care and what's worse is I used to recommend Plusnet, I'm so embarrassed now.
N/A

Re: Plusnet ranking

I've recommended PN to many people in the past but obviously no longer. It's a great shame really. Does anyone know what has happened? Is it to do with Tiscalli taking over?

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
sinewave
Grafter

Throwing the towel in

This topic does not fit with the spirit of our Community Support board, and as such I have moved it to a more appropriate place.

Feel free to carry on the discussion here.

Hmmm... I was wondering if this discussion of other ISP's would be allowed here. I guess we should be thankful it was just moved to less populated forum.
N/A

Throwing the towel in

Yes, it's really a relevant conversation for VOIP!!!

So why are there hundreds of "i'm off" posts in customer support, but I get moved. LOL
sinewave
Grafter

Re: Plusnet ranking

I've recommended PN to many people in the past but obviously no longer. It's a great shame really. Does anyone know what has happened? Is it to do with Tiscalli taking over?

Tiscali has not taken over anything. PN are simply using Tiscali as a wholesale provider. Before, they used to just use BT to connect them to their customers but now they use both BT and Tiscali.

Plusnet have changed because they wanted to. They changed their business model and changed from being a small provider to being a big one, from being a private company to a PLC with shareholders. Shareholders: that powerful group of people who who care about nothing at all but profit margins.

A metaphor:
We liked them when they were a local hardware shop providing a personal service with high quality products. We like them less now they've turned into B&Q.

Its their prerogative. I'm sure the original owners of Plusnet made a lot of money and don't regret the changes at all. We'd probably all do the same if we were in the their position. It does rankle though when a company you subscribe to becomes a different company, when you realise you are getting something different to what you originally expected. In situations like this, as a consumer you only have one choice: you can put up with it or leave and go to another ISP.

This is why the phrase "consumer choice", bandied around by businesses and politicians as some desirable phenomena, (and applied to all sectors from supermarkets to schools and hospitals) should be heard with skeptical ears. Just because there is a wide variety of choice doesn't mean you'll get what you want!
N/A

Don't put all you eggs in one basket

In my experience, if you host websites and so one, it's better to keep that seperate from your ISP. I now host all my sites with Hostroute. Very rugged hosting and email for very low cost. It also means if you want to change ISP, you don't have to move everything else!

PS, I'm being migrated to IDNet today!
sinewave
Grafter

Re: Don't put all you eggs in one basket

PS, I'm being migrated to IDNet today!

I'd love to know what differences you notice with regards to speeds, pings, general stability etc etc