cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plusnet newsletter

N/A

The Plusnet newsletter

I use a Mac and the plusnet newsletter comes through in Mac Mail as several black blocks with transparent word 'Plus' through which you can see scraps of words and images. I'm assuming there's a newsletter in there somewhere but to me it's useless.
Don't the designers test on other platforms than windows? I'd like to be able to read my newsletter . Sad

Sue
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The Plusnet newsletter

What version of Mac Mail and what macOS version are you using?

Any other Mac users getting the same problem?

Any other Mac users not seeing a problem?

Note: not everyone will have received the newsletter yet as PN delayed sending the majority due to the mail problems.

If this appears to be a common problem with Macs I will raise it via PUG.
N/A

The Plusnet newsletter

Hi Peter,
I'm on OS10.2.8 and Mail version 1.2.5 (v553) . (G4 powermac 867 dual)

Sue
N/A

The Plusnet newsletter

It seems to work ok on Mac OS version 10.4.6 and "Mail" Version 2.0.7 (746.2/750)

However what I did notice when I forwarded the newsletter to "Mail" as I do not use that particular mail application was that when I hit send on my application "GyasMail" was that it informed me that "The message body uses the encoding "Unicode UTF-8"

Whether that is going to make any difference with your rather elderly version of "Mail" I do not know, and perhaps some more knowledgeable person than I can shed some light on it.

But when I downloaded and opened the forwarded newsletter with "Mail" it opened ok and was perfectly readable no different in fact to my current email client.

Sorry i cannot be any more help, but I suspect that your version may not be up to speed on that particular encoding........ but I am guessing on that point.

IanJ
N/A

The Plusnet newsletter

Thanks for that input. It looks as if I'm going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade my OS then I can 'catch up' with recent upgrades of things like Mail. I hate major upgrades, everythings working ticketty-boo, has for almost 4 years now. With all my work dependent on the machine I'm loathe to rock the boat and risk something going wrong. Sigh...
Thanks anyway. :-)
Sue
N/A

The Plusnet newsletter

Alternatively, Plus.Net could. of course, just put their newsletter online, as a web page, and/or provide it as a PDF.

There are plenty of reasons not to accept HTML in e-mail, since spammers, hackers, and marketing services use these methods (marketing may use "web beacons" to track viewings, while hackers and spammers might include code to display adverts and/or download malware onto a system).

It seems daft that Plus.Net only puts the newsletter online after sending it out by e-mail to everyone, whereas they could make it available via the members pages, and send only a brief e-mail showing the link. Some other services don't send it out as e-mail, but have modified the e-mail system to take note of announcements and provide them as if a message had been sent by mail (PN doesn't mass mail all 200,000 customers in one go because the mail service could be overloaded, whereas the other ISP only submits the message once, and when someone checks their mail, the mail server software reports a new message (without all the disk storage and loading on the mail servers that PN has... clever, huh!)

Must admit to not have seen this latest newsletter myself anyway.... so no ideas on whether there is odd HTML, or whether it would give Windows mail apps a problem (too).
N/A

The Plusnet newsletter

Good point. I'd prefer a simple notice that the newsletter was available to read on the web or download as a PDF.

I've had this same problem since Plusnet started sending these newsletters, all with the same black blocks and transparent letters. It's not a recent thing and I expect Windows computers are safe with it, or as safe as they'll ever be from hacker attack. And I bet there are lots of Mac users just like me, with older machines and correspondingly older versions of software having a similar problem. We tend to hang onto our machines longer than Windows folk because we can, I suppose. I've been happy to tootle along software-wise rarely upgrading except for my professional programmes which are latest versions.
Anyway, now I'm rambling! Smiley
Cheers
Sue
N/A

The Plusnet newsletter

I'm running Thunderbird email client and PlusNet's newsletter was a load of garbled code.