cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Takes 6 hours for mail to arrive on mail server ?

N/A

Hi,

I recently setup exchange using a Plusnet hosted domain to provide DNS records. I sent several email tests yesterday and they took 6 hours or so to hit my mail server.

When examining DNS i noticed there are two MX records:

1. mx.last.plus.net (16) 212.159.3.230
2. mail2.domain.co.uk (5) 212.50.55.24

Could this be a factor ?
Has enyone else had a simlaer expericence and sorted it ?
Is this due to large traffic volume caused by mydoom or something ?

Thanks for any advice : )
Scott.

[Moderator note (by acarr) : Removed accidental duplicate posting]
28 REPLIES
N/A

MX records work on a priority method, allow you to provide backup system where a primary is out of use.

In the case above, machine mail2.domain.co.uk has the highest priority (lower numbers have higher priority).

I am guessing your domain is hosted on the PlusNet DNS servers?

If so, by the looks of things, the DNS records are not setup correctly.

Are you attempting to deliver by SMTP, POP3 or Custom MX records?

If by SMTP, then there is a missing MX record of autoturn.plus.net

If by POP3, then you should have no custom records, in adition, there is still a missing MX record

If custom MX records, then mx.last.plus.net should not even be listed.
N/A

Hi,

- I am guessing your domain is hosted on the PlusNet DNS servers?
Yes.
- Are you attempting to deliver by SMTP, POP3 or Custom MX records?
Delivering mail by SMTP (set under mail settings) and added custom MX (5) and A records as my IP is not from Plusnet and i could not see any other way to direct SMTP.

Note: Its taking about 1 hour 10 mins now to appear on my exchange server now.

- If by SMTP, then there is a missing MX record of autoturn.plus.net
When examinng DNS configuration on plusnet portal i can only see my A record and MX reocrd. When using an external DNS serach i saw mx.last.plus.net was listed. Never seen autoturn.plus.net. How would you check ?

Thanks for the reply.
Scott.
N/A

Right, there are two places in which you can configure SMTP.

1: For your username.plus.com e-mail, you configure it using the E-mail control panel.

2: For your domain, you use the domain control panel.

For domains, you first goto the domain you wish to configure and change it to SMTP (submit the changes).

Next, you add a custom MX and A record.

The A and MX records sound OK, however, are you setting the SMTP setting correctly?

To comound facts, it looks like you are not understanding SMTP 100% correctly.

If you are seeing delay in delivery to your domain, then there is either an issue at your exchange server or the machine which is relaying the e-mail to you.

SMTP operates using these MX records. E-mail sent is directly delivered to the MX server.

As such, PlusNets involvment is only when there is a fault in your own server, and stores it as a backup. PlusNets systems do not even know direct delivery is taking place, unless they have to act as the backup.

Another note, your custom MX record should have a lower priority. preferably 1.
N/A

Thanks for your help. Im trying to be as unambiguous as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2: For your domain, you use the domain control panel.

For domains, you first goto the domain you wish to configure and change it to SMTP (submit the changes).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did the following:
- from the MEMBERS CENTRE
- i select DOMAIN NAMES
- select CONFIGURE (on the domain i want to use my own mail server)
- from here i see:

"Mail settings

SMTP mail service only available on accounts with static IP address component
POP3 I wish to collect my mail using POP3

Other I wish to specify DNS records for mail to this domain"

Would you expect to see an SMTP option here ?

I made sure i had FIXED IP.

I selected "OTHER".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next, you add a custom MX and A record.

The A and MX records sound OK, however, are you setting the SMTP setting correctly?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the "Additional DNS records (Advanced)" section it says:

Left field Type Pri Right field
mail2 a 212.50.55.24
mx 5 mail2

I think the problem may be my lack of an SMTP setting in this section (configure domain name).

Another note, your custom MX record should have a lower priority. preferably 1.

Will change priority to 1.

Do you think its because I dont have the SMTP option ?

Thanks
Scott.
csogilvie
Grafter

I would expect the SMTP option to not be available if you don't have a Static IP address.
N/A

hi,

I set the account to STATIC IP several days ago. Guess i will need to contact technical support to find out why there is no SMTP opiton here.

Thanks for your time.
Scott.
N/A

Hi,

Plusnet support kept pointing me in the direction of the forum when i asked them previously why there was not SMTP option avaialble from MEMEBERS CENTRE, DOMAIN NAMES, CONFIGURE.

Can you think of any reason why this option would not be listed here ?

Thanks
Scott.
csogilvie
Grafter

Is your Static IP active?
N/A

I enabled the static IP sevral days ago.

When you say active do you mean the time lag between me setting it STATIC and the 24 hours it take to be implemented ?

or

are the users online/connected ?

(in this case it should always be on)

This plusnet connection is at another site. im hosting the mail server at a non-plusnet ip (telewest blueyonder) and attempted to redirect the smtp service.

Cheers
Scott.
N/A

Because we are only customers, we can only provide help on the shell of what is available. Then point out the correct direction that needs to be taken.

By the sounds of things, support are now incorrectly directing you to us.

You need to raise the issue again with support stating what steps you have taken.

These include that you couln't activate SMTP because you did not have a static IP.

You then enabled the Static IP, but SMTP is still not available.

State that there is nothing the forum can help you with further because it requires internal support help and not customer help.

This is all assuming as Colin said, that the Static IP is now enabled. It may take several days to become active.
N/A

I will wait for technical to get back to me.

Really Appreciate your help and Colin's.

Thanks for your time.
Scott.
N/A

Hi,

Support are adamant that this is the correct option.

Scott.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,

Login to the portal and go to Email Settings/Configure Mailboxes. You will then see a grey button labelled SMTP. Click on this and you will then see the page to change your mail delivery to SMTP.

Regards,
[Censored]
---------------------------------------------------------------

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): As per the forum rules, you are not allowed to post CS Agents names within the forum.]
csogilvie
Grafter

Ah - thats setting email delivery for me@username.plus.com to be SMTP... it doesn't help for domain names though!
N/A

I have been talking in PM with him, and it would apear that support are ghonesly failing to get on top of this one.

My sugestion here is to e-mail iwild@plus.net with the ticket number, and explain that support are failing to read and understand your request properly.

Post a link to this thread with it.