cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sygate a bit over zealous?

N/A

Hi all,
Excuse my ignnorance but I installed sygate mainly because I saw some positive remarks on this forum.
However it seems to be blocking several useful things , especially all outgoing e mail and various websites (airline and hire car bookings). Sygate's website isn't very helpful to the relative novice, neither is the actual interface on the firewall! Any advice on how to configure it properly please? Or where to look to know what to allow and what to block?
14 REPLIES
N/A

are they programs or websites? if its a program, it should have given u a msg the first time it tried to conenct, you get the choice to allow or to block , you chose block i would take it?
N/A

I installed Sygate yesterday, but despite lots of various tweaking, I couldn't even connect to the internet! :?

I'm now using Zone Alarm Free and it seems OK.
holdtight
Grafter

Ive used sygate for a long time and not had any problems with it

when you first install and start using it it will throw up allow boxes which you can tick so you dont see them again if youve blocked one or two by mistake it would behave the way you have described, also you shouldnt need to do any tweaking at all, of course if your opening certain ports for any reason you might but just for normal day to day net and email use it works great straight out the box as they say

if this is the case you can open up sygate go to applications and there is a list of everything thats tried to access the internet check to see what its allowing and disallowing
you can start again just by selecting delete all and starting from fresh i do this from time to time anyway
( i would do this straight after installing it anyway as there is a huge list of items in there that dont need to be there )

Imho sygate is better than zonealarm so give it another go and take note of what your blocking and like i said you can check anytime
N/A

Imho sygate is better than zonealarm so give it another go and take note of what your blocking and like i said you can check anytime

Last time I looked, sygate was easier to bypass than Zonealarm, so I'd say stick with Zonealarm, plus it's easier to use. Wink
N/A

depends how you set it up gadget :p
N/A

Not according to the sites I've been looking at Wink besides I'm trying a new firewall called Jetico, it's still a beta version, but looks very promising and is currently freeware.
N/A

Well i've been using Sygate for donkies years and i've never had any problems with attacks or anything.
N/A

Personally, I don't think there's a lot to choose between them.

I use Sygate myself and am completely happy with it, there seem to be more useful options in the free version than you get in the free version of ZA, but if I'm setting up a PC for a newbie friend, I usually stick ZA in for them 'cos they'll find it easier to understand.
N/A

Both Sygate and Zonealarm are good, but on a recent site I was looking at, sygate was bypassed with relative ease, where as zonealarm wasn't.
LiamM
Grafter

I've recently bought a couple of Dell systems and they ship with McAfee Security Suite (including Personal Firewall).

I find it very easy to use, and McAfee Privacy Service very handy with the kids in the house. Now I really am Big Brother hehe.
magimix
Dabbler

Both Sygate and Zonealarm are good, but on a recent site I was looking at, sygate was bypassed with relative ease, where as zonealarm wasn't.

I'd be very curious to see this site, if you would be so good as to provide the URL.
N/A

note: all software firewalls, and some hardware firewalls can be bypassed within seconds, by "going under" them, They do not monitor the system calls made by the kernal, and as such these can be hooked and things can go in and out of the network even if you have set your firewall to the strictest settings, and yes this does apply to ZA as well as sygate. So basicaly, its a myth, they stop bugger all now.
lowry
Grafter

Hi Liam,
I don't use it anymore, but I used McAfee Security Centre up until about a month ago (just switched to try the free options in the market out) but I was extremely impressed with McAfee's product, so I fully agree with you there.

Their VirusScan software was good value - I had it on £18.95 yearly subscription from their site which means you get free upgrades to the latest version of the software that is currently available as long as your subscription was current, and virus definitions were included in that price.

McAfee Privacy Service is also excellent for families protecting children on the internet - I know several families that use it.

I now use AVG Anti-Virus (Free) and ZoneAlarm (Free) because I fancied saving some money. However, whilst these progams are good I do miss the McAfee simple Security Centre interface a bit.

matt Wink
N/A

i use sygate as well and i do know of zone alarm being compromised to the point where they had to do a massive update.
im not saying sygte doesnt get grilled too but certainly not as often and as bad as zone.....
i'd love to see that site as well.

for anti virii,, i use avg (voted 3rd) too and recently bitdefender was voted number one by a bunch of security hacks...they have a free version(v7) that is available on their site too.
so now i pack both..... Cheesy