Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suprnova is dead

N/A

Suprnova is dead

Suprnova is dead
:shock:
Police in Finland have raided the operations of a popular BitTorrent file download site, seizing equipment and at the houses four people who ran the site. Police also raided the houses of 30 volunteers who helped moderate the site.
According to our early translation of a report of the raids, the 34 people had been arrested
Police say the site had 10,000 users, all Finnish, who downloaded illegally-copied content worth millions of euros. The site featured 6000 torrents, including film, videos, music and games.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/14/finnish_police_raid_bittorrent_site/

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Topic moved to a more suitable forum]
13 REPLIES
N/A

Suprnova is dead

I'm pretty sure the article you quote is concerning another BitTorrent site - not Suprnova. I think it was as a consequence of this that the owners of Suprnova decided to close down.
N/A

Suprnova is dead

Indeed. As all the users where finnish, I don't see it being Suprnova.
N/A

Suprnova is dead

Greetings everybody,

As you have probably noticed, we have often had downtimes. This was because it was so hard to keep this site up!
But now we are sorry to inform you all, that SuprNova is closing down for good in the way that we all know it.
We do not know if SuprNova is going to return, but it is certainly not going to be hosting any more torrent links.
We are very sorry for this, but there was no other way, we have tried everything.

Thank you all that helped us, by donating mirrors or something else, by uploading and seeding files, by helping people out on IRC and on forum, by spreading the word about SuprNova.org.
It is a sad day for all of us!

Please visit SuprNova.org every once in a while to get the latest news on what is happening and if there is anything new to report on.

As we wish to maintain the nice comunity that we created, we are keppig forums and irc servers open.

Thank you all and Goodbye!
sloncek & the rest of the SuprNova Team

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why wont they state that then,as a result of another bt site being busted :roll:

QUOTE : we have often had downtimes. This was because it was so hard to keep this site up! .........i smell somthing Smiley
N/A

Suprnova is dead

really not, both TorrentBits and Supernova took a lot of effort to run, and now with the bust of the other site and the like, I just think they are all calling it quits as its far far less hastle and they all need to spend time with their families, there is a link around ::

http://forum.flashback.info/scandinavia/showpost.php?p=1629690&postcount=31

that says why torrentbits closed, and i would assume its the same kind of thing for supernova.

I guess this is good news for plusnet, as the "bad boys" have just lost two of the most used torrent sites on the net.

Buz
N/A

Suprnova is dead

i think theve closed because they are being looked at by the authorities very very closely indeed :roll:
N/A

Suprnova is dead

There are still some good torrent sites around and one which wants to take on all the big companies who want to sue them Smiley

There are also other ways of downloading what you need. Newsgroups is the fastest way and gets al the 0-day stuff. Don't forget irc and forums.
keithcalder
Grafter

Suprnova is dead

And there's always the pirate bay who are now reporting a huge jump in traffic, surprise surprise! I wonder if they will continue to defy the authorities, or perhaps these particular set of laws don't apply in Sweden, well its still there anyways.

Keith Smiley
N/A

Suprnova is dead

It's a shame but I'm not surprised. I'm sure some other site will start in it's place.

My concern is that since suprnova never actually held the data, they just provided links, and now that these sort of cases have started. Are the days of bit torrent servers numbered?
N/A

Suprnova is dead

well no, there was a interesting project to start a node based system, much like kazaa for torrents called exeem or sommit, it may take off now, who knows.

and i can at least say with 100% accuracy that TB did not close due to raids or the law.

Buz
N/A

Suprnova is dead

The problem with bit-torrent, along with things like Kazza is that whilst they actualy hold infringing data, the network won't work without them.

Without trackers, then nobody knows what to download off who.

Taking down the infrastructure used in the sahre process, means that the downloading stops, at least from that source.
N/A

Suprnova is dead

Azureus has it's own tracker which you can use instead of the big public trackers, so even when they get rid of the public trackers you will still be able to use bittorent. The only problem with the Azureus tracker is that it uses bandwidth and therefore slows down your connection. On a standard broadband it will be impossible to serve as many users as Suprnova did.
N/A

Suprnova is dead

molszewski,

Yes Azureus does have an in-built tracker, but you would still need to get that link to everyone.

Aaron
N/A

Suprnova is dead

Sites which will offer torrent files will always exist. Ones will close down and others will spring up. It is more difficult to set up good trackers though.