cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub Domain question

Galaxy
Grafter

Sub Domain question

(i've been back through the previous posts/help and cant find an answer to this, so sorry if its already been answered)

I've got my domain happily working on PlusNet (reg by 1&1 and DNS hosted F9) and the www. is pointing to my web space and cgi. is pointing to the webserver)

Now, the question is, my mate (not a PN customer) runs his own website and is hosted by 1&1 totally, but he is interested in setting up a forum, the only thing is, the hosting he has doesnt allow Perl, PHP or have any MySQL, but he does have a sub domain.
Would it be possible for the sub domain (to be associated with my PN account), and to setup forum.railwaysonline.co.uk (his url) with a CNAME to criticalmass.plus.net. so it points to my CGI space?

His domain would need to stay with 1&1 obviously, but would plus net allow this? I cant see no reason why it wouldnt work as you can easily setup a sub domain/CNAME to virtual.fotopic.net. and have it work successfully with the domain on Force9's NS
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sub Domain question

I dont think PlusNet cater for sub domains the way you would like it.

However I can't see any reason why you couldnt set up a forum for your friend on your cgi space and just have him link to the url from his own domain.
Galaxy
Grafter

Sub Domain question

Yeah, i'm more than happy to setup the forum in the cgi space, and have him link to it, but what he wants is the forum address to be within his railwaysonline domain and not my domain, which is my name!

I think whats angered him more is that he just had ADSL activated (he went for BT Broadband, even though i tried pushing PN to him!) and he gets nothing more than a connection for his £26.99 a month, and i have Perl, PHP.....(which is more than he gets, even though he is paying for hosting Tongue ) included for £21.99 a month!
Community Veteran

Sub Domain question

I think whats angered him more is that he just had ADSL activated (he went for BT Broadband, even though i tried pushing PN to him!) and he gets nothing more than a connection for his £26.99 a month

Some people just won't listen :?
Yes the link would appear with your name as part of the cgi url but I'm sure that PlusNet don't support sub domains as part of your domain.

Can you talk him into migrating from Bt Broadband to Plusnet? then he could put all of his site on the cgi server and have his domain as the url on all pages.
Galaxy
Grafter

Sub Domain question

Migrating from BT Broadband isnt an option for him at the moment, he's just started a 12 month contract with them..I cant believe he chose them anyway, he knew i was getting all the extras as part of the monthly fee, and before that i was on BT, so had told him the "wonders" of their service.

What i think swayed him to them though was the Free Activation (or whatever they are currently offering)....but then if i didnt have ADSL and i wanted an ISP, i would look past the offer of free this and that (and before anyone says anything, when i got ADSL originally, there wasnt many adsl isps!)