cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming TV from other countries

N/A

Hi

I wanted to watch some streaming TV from a French Station (www.france5.fr/ ) but because my IP address is UK based I cannot view the progs as they are only available to France and it's overseas territories (for copyright distribution reasons).

Is there anyway to fool the site into thinking I am connecting from France ?

I just want to stress that this isn't for pirating but is the equivalent of watching a region 1 dvd in England.

Thanks,

Rob
8 REPLIES
N/A

Yes its possible.

What you need is an internet proxy with an address in France. (a proxy is a device between you and the page you are viewing, the proxy opens it, and then shows you the content)

Somebody will no doubt be able to post with a site designed to do this, but here's a workaround which you may be able to apply in this case.

By far the biggest type of proxy used is a search engine, except that it doesn't open the page in real time.... or does it?
Google has a presence in just about every country - www.google.fr for example.

Next trick, how do you make google open your page in real time?
Simple, ask it to translate the page....
The URL needs to look something like the below.

http://www.google.fr/translate?langpair=fr|en&u=www.france5.fr

Hopefully the elements are obvious enough:

To change the country of the proxy, simply change the .fr to .co.uk or .com or .whichever country you want.

langpair=fr|en gives you a translation from french to english, to leave in french, change the pair to be fr|fr

Edit:
Removed irresponsible reference to bypassing corporate firewalls using a similar method. Wink (PM if you are desperate to find out how....)
N/A

Thanks James,

you've confirmed for me that proxy is the way to go. Now all I need is for some other kind soul to post an idiots guide :?

thanks again James.

Rob.
N/A

google has many guides to using one

top hit : http://www.freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy/howuse.htm (did you even look?)

for proxies try here :

http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html
N/A

(did you even look?)
Indeed I did :shock: and I even found the very guide that you link to.However although helpful I didn't find that this worked. I still get a message saying that the programmes are only available to those within France and French overseaas territories even when using these guides .So I was hoping that someone might post a guide that was perhaps more suited to this particular problem, and as a complete newbie to the whole idea of proxys it makes searching for a solution to a problem I know nothing about a tad difficult.

That said thank you for your help Cheesy

Rob.
N/A

humm you would have to use a highly annon one (not transparent)
also if you set one up, then open google, if it opens to google.co.fr then you have it working (as it thinks your in france)
you have to pick a proxy in .FR (duh?)
you may have to set it up and reload your browser
N/A

Erm, thats kind of why I posted the link above, when I follow it, I can get to streaming video no prbs. (except the lang barrier - since most of the french text is actually ambedded in images, thus Google doesn't translate it)
All I am unsure of, is if I am looking at the right video or not...

Any french speakers care to point me to the right place on the site to test it?
N/A

Sorry James, I'm afraid I'm guilty of posting before thinking it through properly Shockedops:

The original site has a drop down list under Vidéos on the top menu which I cannot access,however these are pay per view so maybe not the best place to start!

This site http://programmes.france2.fr/prejudices/ also refuses me access, if you click on any of the links: Voir l'épisode en vidéo intégrale you should see what I mean.

I thought maybe they had placed a cookie which was stopping the google ( or any of the proxys I've tried) approach from working but I get the same thing even after clearing the cookie cache.

Thank you James for all your help ,I appreciate it.
(same goes to Buzzons ,even if I was a little snippy Smiley .)

Rob.
N/A

you could buy a shell off a FR hosting company and tunnel your connection via that