cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange file

Novocastrian
Grafter

Strange file

On 3 or 4 occasions during the last few weeks, after closing down my browser, an odd looking file has appeared on my desktop.
The file, 210kb, goes by the name of ~ and has no extension.
Anybody got any idea what this file is and where it came from?
I am using Win98se and Ie6.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Strange file

I sugest you download and run Spybot and Adaware a couple of programs which will search out spyware and such nasties that have installed themselves.
Community Veteran

Strange file

It's not a virus or trojan. It is actually a backup of your Windows address book and is created each time you make a change to it.

Full details can be found in What is the Tilde (~) file that appears on Desktop

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Strange file

I knew it was nothing more than a harmless backup, however, I hadn't bothered to look at what caused it.

Nice to know.

Does anybody know if setting the "Start in" property of a shortcut will resolve the issue?

I now use The Bat!, so I aint got a clue.
Novocastrian
Grafter

Strange file

Thank to you all for the advice and information. Much appreciated Cheesy
Community Veteran

Strange file

Does anybody know if setting the "Start in" property of a shortcut will resolve the issue?

I think if the article did not give it as a work around I suspect it does not make a difference. I think it is where you actually run OE from that causes the issue.

I run XP which does not have the problem so can't prove it. Maybe monkchester can try and let us know.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Strange file

This issue does happen on XP.

I use OE as my usenet client, seeing as I have low usage of it. Under these circumstances it happens.
Novocastrian
Grafter

Strange file

I run XP which does not have the problem so can't prove it. Maybe monkchester can try and let us know.

Changing the "Start In" property of OE makes no difference, the file still appears on the desktop, but changing the "Start In" property of the Address Book shortcut on my desktop to a particular directory makes the ~ file appear in that same directory.

Thanks again for your help and the link to PCHell. Useful site