Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 (Freeware)

chrisco
Grafter

A Happy & Prosperous 2006 to all Cheesy

I have been reading a review on security software & Spybot was a recommendation because, according to the report, unlike the free version of AdAware (which I already use) it offers real-time protection. I'm very wary about downloading freeware as I've been told that quite often it contains infections that it's designed to eliminate & somewhere in my memory bank I have a feeling that I've been told that Spybot is notorious for just that.
Has anyone had 1st hand experience of this product, if so how do they rate it & am I being paranoid about freeware - is it better to purchase this type of product maybe as a total security suite. I'm a home user OS is XPsp2, Pent. 4, 1gb RAM. Any views or/& advice would be gratefully received.

Regards, Chris
10 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Chris
A happy new year to you and yours too Cheesy

Your very wise to be wary of some freeware programs some are very dodgy and full of spyware / adware but you can rest assured spybot is a great program that you wont have any problems with and i can recommend it very highly

I would also say run Adaware along side it as one can miss one thing while the other will find it and vice versa also make sure both are always up to date with the download updates button

Ive not used an all in one security suite so cant comment on that as i prefer to have several spyware and keylogger programs to run and protect my system rather than just the one

Bill.
Community Veteran

Spybot does come very highly recommended, not just from me but from the security community as well. It is a very well established product on a par (and often far superior) to many commecial equivalents. I have been running it for the past 2 years without a single problem.

As suggest above, you should actually run both Spybot and the free version of Adaware on your system because no single app will detect all malware/spyware and often what one misses is detected by the other. You may also like to consider two further well established and recommended apps calls Spywareblaster and spywareguard.

Links to them and many other security related apps/tools can be found in General: Essential Security software
N/A

It is also worth using the Microsoft AntiSpyware beta, as this also gives real-time protection. It can be downloaded from here.

Tim
Community Veteran

I've had that use too much memory, especially when it does the background nightly scan (if you enable it) which then caused other apps to fail for various reasons, so use it with caution.

It is still in Beta.
N/A

I'll just mention that I had to remove Spybot cos it was going into my register and deleting Norton instructions. If you dont have Norton you should be ok.
jagger
Grafter

I use Spybot as a matter of course.

And Adaware Pro.And ZoneAlarm Pro.And NOD32.

You are right to be wary of a freebie program,but Spybot is one of the good guys.There are plenty out there that are just adware themselves,or worse.

Well done for asking.The first step to net safety.Take an A+.
N/A

Yeah, the MS spyware app is very hungry on resources. Not to bad on a high spec machine. I'd stick with Spybot and Adaware ....
Alecto
Grafter

You can run the MS one periodically and thus not let it eat all your resources in the background. You just have to remember to do it.
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks to all for your advice, you've set my mind at rest - I shall download it today.

Regards, Chris Cheesy
N/A

Although the Microsoft AntiSpyware application is still in beta, several versions have been released since the original one, and I use it on several PCs without any problems.

I would also recommend Spybot and Ad-Aware.

Tim