cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtouch 716WL Router

N/A

Speedtouch 716WL Router

I'm thinking of buying this router from Free-online. I found the user manual on the internet which talks about 716WLv5 - presumably version 5. Does anyone know if the one free-online sell is the v5 product or if it makes any difference?

Thanks.

Phil.
9 REPLIES
petermaughan
Grafter

SpeedTouch 716WL

Hi!
I've just bought one. The label on the box says "ST 716 v5 WL R5.3.x UK" and the firmware version from the configuration interface is: "Software Release: 5.3.2.6.0 ". It also says on the box: "Up to 24Mbit/s download with ADSL2+", so I guess it is fairly future-proof.
I'm presently having a problem receiving incoming 0845 calls and PlusTalk support staff are investigating. But I like it. No doubt the 0845 problem will be sorted out eventually.
Best wishes,
Peter
N/A

Speedtouch 716WL Router

Thanks for replying. I actually bought one from somewhere else in the end and I've just managed to set it up. I haven't taken the 0845 number option but I've managed to get it to work for outgoing calls.

Have you connected it to your normal phone line? You're supposed to be able to dial *01* to switch to making calls over the normal phone rather than VOIP but this isn't working for me. It does make normal calls if I switch off the router though so the wire is connected OK.

Also, have you set up for a wireless network? When I've set-up the WPA-PSK security and my PC is connected, if I change the setting to 'only allow new stations via registration' it disconnects my PC and I have to hard wire it up and set it back to 'allow all stations automatically'.

I'm thinking of raising these issues with Speedtouch but thought I'd see if anyone else had had these problems.

Thanks.
petermaughan
Grafter

SpeedTouch 716WL

Hello swordtail,

Yes, mine works well enough for outgoing VoIP calls.

I have connected the ordinary (POTS) phone line, though the cable was not supplied in the box and I used a spare modem cable that I had. This means that I can receive POTS calls by the same handset.

I noticed the *01* option in the SpeedTouch User Guide to force outgoing calls to POTS, though it is not listed on the router's configuration interface as a service option. I gave it a try, as directed in the User Guide, but it didn't work on mine either. I'm not too worried about it because I'll want most of my outgoing calls to go over VoIP; if I want to make an ordinary POTS call then I will turn off the router.

Sorry, I haven't tried wireless networking? That's the next stage for me; laptops are so cheap nowadays that I'm thinking of buying one. In the meantime I have disabled the wireless interface so that I don't get any snoopers.

Best wishes,
Peter
petermaughan
Grafter

SpeedTouch 716WL support by Free-online

I think a wider audience needs to see this from Free-Online support:

Dear Mr Maughan,
As the service appears to work fine with x-lite, this would appear to be a hardware configuration problem. Unfortunately, with the exception of the necessary settings for our service, we are unable to take you through step by step installation of the product. Please contact the manufacturer by phone or email for further advice. We apologise if this seems unhelpful but we are unable to supply support for hardware due to the enormous possible varieties.

Regards,
James Somerville

I cannot believe it! Free-Online promotes a particular VoIP router on their web-site, sells me one (and they are not cheap) and then tells me they cannot support it.

What shall I do? Could anyone please advise?

Peter
N/A

Speedtouch 716WL Router

What is the problem? Mine is working fine now.
petermaughan
Grafter

Incoming 0845 calls

Hi,
The problem is that incoming 0845 calls go straight to voicemail and are not picked up by the router. (The counts of missed and successful incoming calls on the router both remain at zero.)

I did contact the SpeedTouch helpdesk by phone and a very helpful French gentleman, based in Amsterdam, took all my account particulars and tried it out with his own hardware and confirmed that there is indeed a problem. I believe that the SpeedTouch helpdesk has now taken ownership of the problem, to sort out with PlusTalk/Free-online. I'll post here again when I get a resolution.

I think you said that you had not taken up the option of on 0845 number.
Best wishes,
Peter
smithg
Hooked

Speedtouch 716WL Router

I have had the same problem (unable to receive incoming calls) since obtaining the Speedtouch 716WL at the end of March. I have had a contact us ticket open since then trying to fix it and Free-Online have finally come up with a solution this week that works!

The trigger, that helped provide the solution, was that I came across a PlusNet user who also the Speedtouch and had it fully working - we have been communicating and couldn't find any difference in our configurations Eventually we exchanged configuration files and I carefully cross checked these. I discovered that, other than mine referencing Free-Online and his referencing PlusNet, there were no real differences. When I informed Free-Online of this they suggested that I tried using sip.plus.net instead of sip.free-online.net for both the 'SIP proxy' and 'registrar' settings in the 'telephony' - 'expert configure' settings. I did this and magic has ensued and I have a fully working Speedtouch! It would appear that there is something wrong in the configuration of the Free-Online SIP server which means that it doesn't work with the Speedtouch and I've been advised that they will look at this but I'm to continue using the PlusNet one for the time being. I suggest you try doing the same.

I had tried updating the firmware in the Speedtouch from the provided 5.3.2.6 to version 5.4.0B (which is available here: http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/716.asp) without success. The PlusNet customer had previously done the same so neither of us has tried getting it to work with the 5.3.2.6 firmware - prehaps you'd like to try, but if the change to sip.plus.net doesn't work then try upgrading the firmware!

As far as making outgoing calls via your landline then for some reason the *01* function is disabled by default in the standard configuration. To enable it you have to issue some commands at the routers command line - however it is quite straight forward:

First use telnet to access the routers command line (windows users do 'Start' - 'Run...' and type 'telnet speedtouch.lan'), and login as the Administrator (beware, it case sensitive so don't try 'administrator'). Then type in the following commands:

voice services provision type=forcedFXO
voice services activate type=forcedFXO
saveall
exit

You should find that the *01* sequence will now cause the relay in the Speedtouch to trip over and connect your phone to the telephone line (assuming you have connected up the additional phone line socket on the rear).

hope this helps
Graham

Edited to correct commands - I had service it should have been services!
petermaughan
Grafter

Incoming 0845 calls work with sip.plus.net

Hello Graham,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Cheesy I'm very grateful to you for such a detailed explanation and the solution to both problems.

In fact I had already updated the firmware to version 5.4 on my first contact with the SpeedTouch helpdesk.

Changing sip.free-online.net to sip.plus.net wasn't immediately effective and I was beginning to wonder whether the FOL Support people would need to do something at their end to allow my access. However, I reset my router and then re-entered SIP URI, Username and Password and ..... Hooray! It works!!

I guess that PlusNet was set up first and thoroughly tested and then a few things were changed to make a Free-online version that didn't get much testing.

I told FOL Support that I had changed my configuration. They advised me to keep sip.plus.net if it was working for me until further notice. I have now closed my ticket.

Configuring the *01* Forced FXO also gave me a little bit of trouble at first. I discovered that "services" needs to be plural so, for anyone else wanting to do the same, put in:

voice services provision type=forcedFXO
voice services activate type=forcedFXO

So, thanks once again.
Best wishes,
Peter
smithg
Hooked

Speedtouch 716WL Router

Glad it worked for you - I've editted my previous post to correct the commands - sorry for the confusion.