cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Test Zero

gilleyman
Dabbler

Speed Test Zero

Hi, please can anyone advise as to why my recent 3 speeds tests done through plusnet site are all rated as "0" , as a pure lay man this tell me something is not quite right.

Regards Arthur
6 REPLIES
N/A

Speed Test Zero

Arthur

Have you got Norton Internet security installed, software firewall or any other similar product installed? If yes then disable it while doing test.

Regards

Steve
N/A

Intermittently working speed testing tool,Ivan

Hello,

I dont think you should need to disable your firewall software just to perform a speed test, I have the same problem on a regular basis whilst using Force9's speed testing tool over on the F9 portal site. I have regularly used this tool of F9 and its worked perfectly and the results logged smoothly too with my firewall in place & working and then on other occations it just refuses to work correctly for no apparent reason so your in good company. I have mentioned this to CS via a contact us ticket but have never had any useful explanations as to why this tool is so inconsistent. When it works correctly its fine and when it doesnt its useless.

** I have a feeling its a problem that might relate to java script and how your web browser handles java? but thats only a hunch I cannot prove this.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Speed Test Zero

Ivan,

This is copied from the speed test page:

"The speed test is not compatible with many popup blockers. If you are using programs such as Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall, disable them whist running the speed test."

I have to disable Norton Internet Security to perform the speed tests. I was just trying to generalise things.

Steve
gilleyman
Dabbler

Speed Test Zero

I tried stopping Norton Internet Security and retried the test once again, this time it did work for me, if this is the case I shall have to remember it in future.

Thanks for the help given Arthur
gilleyman
Dabbler

Speed Test Zero

I tried stopping Norton Internet Security and retried the test once again, this time it did work for me, if this is the case I shall have to remember it in future.

Thanks for the help given Arthur
N/A

Replying Re: Speed tester tool,Ivan

Hi Arthur,

Yep! fare enough, so it seems to be quite specific to the likes of Norton security suite & similar programs & popup blockers but not ZoneAlarm firewall which is quite interesting. Anyway, glad its now working correctly for you now.

Regards Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User