Did you mean: 

Speed Increase For Us PlusNet Users?

N/A

I just was told by my friend about how NTL are upping their speeds:

150K increases to 225K
600K increases to 750K
1Meg increases to 1.5Meg

Another friend told me about Blue Yonder who are doing the same thing.

512 = 740
1 = 2.5

and the 2 meg service is now a massive 3Meg line!!!

Apparently, there's gonna be no price increase either! I wondered if we PlusNet users will be seeing any speed increases too, and what PlusNet are doing to compete with this level of service from these other ISP's.

Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere, I didn't see any information about it.
23 REPLIES
N/A

A search for "blueyonder" returns many relevant results.

Basically cable is a very different technology to ADSL. The only way ISPs such as PlusNet could offer this is if BT wholesale were to drop prices or increase speeds.
N/A

I see, thanks.

Sad

That's bad news. Maybe PlusNet would consider dropping their prices anyway, because I have a feeling some people might be tempted to move ISP's after this increase comes into effect.
Community Veteran

I believe they have already where it is possible with the £14.99 broadband lite product. They are ultimately governed by the monthly charges that BT impose for each ADSL connection and PN are running very low margins on all their ADSL products to remain competitive. If BT do drop their prices, PN will usually pass on this reduction accordingly.
N/A

It's all very well introducing a new £14.99 a month package, but what about us users who are paying £26 for the same speeds?

I think something needs to be done on PlusNet's part. Blue Yonder customersd are getting a free 50% increase in downstream for nothing. If nothing is done to compete with this kind of service I am sorry to say I'll feel cheated. I love PlusNet too! That's something I'd never have imagine myself saying.
Community Veteran

As said above you cannot compare cable with ADSL. The cable in your example is owned by Telewest so they can determin the speeds and costs to the end user. All ADSL products rely on and go through BT and for that they get charged a set fee depending on the speed. PN cannot offer product for less than they are paying for it themselves, it's just not good business practice.

The current ADSL technology also restricts what can be offered. In many cases 512K is the max speed possible due to line length and noise levels so it is physically impossible to offer faster speeds to those lines at present. This may well change as the technology improved but for now PlusNet and we are limited by both BT costs and technology and there is little either party can do to change this.
N/A

Right, I understand.

So what's the difference between the 14.99 package and the £25.99 one?
Community Veteran

The £14.99 package has a 1Gig/month bandwidth cap + £2.50 per additional 1G/month with a max additional charge of £10/month (a max charge of £24.99). Other than that it's basically the same as ADSL home + virus scanning for emails

I assume your £25.99 is ADSL Home + £1 domain hosting.

There is no real difference between the packages once you go above 5GB/month bandwidth on Broadband lite. Just check out the features of each package like I have just done.
N/A

Thanks very much for the info, Peter.
N/A

£25.99 a month? Are you sure you don't mean Easystart plus the £1 domain offer?

If so, the price of the product is as such, becuase it offers included activation and modem costs, along with the anti-virus and spam filtering.

The price of ADSL home is infact £21.99 a month.

TO show all this, the best thing I can do is direct you the the relevant parts of the BT price list.

Office products are found HERE and home HERE

For a 2Mb line, there is a anual rental charge of £516.00 (ex vat). However, that is the not the end of BT's charging structure, there are also charges for the pipe that caries the data from the BT network to the ISP (BT Central).

Without complicating things, I will work with what most ISPs use. The 155Mb/s L2TP passthrough pipes. The charges can be found HERE and the aint pretty.

£45000.00 (ex vat). However, these support upto 8000 customers per pipe, though most ISPs only use about 2/3rds of that

Now we know the costs, lets look at the wholesale cost per month.

((£45000/5333users)12months) + (£516/12months) = £43.71 per month
Add the vat and you have = £51.36 aproximate wholesale cost of a 2Mb line.

These are charges from BT, and as such, PlusNet can't get around these.

The aproximate wholesale cost of a Home 512 service based on simalar math would be £16.11 inc vat.

Bearing in mind, the ISP must add other operational costs (elec, staff, phone services, servers and bandwidth) and a profit to that, you should see why it is hard.

Cable companies own there own network, they can run the contention level where they want, how they want and at the price that suits them.
Community Veteran

£25.99 a month? Are you sure you don't mean Easystart plus the £1 domain offer?

Yes, that is what I meant to say.
N/A

If BT do drop their prices, PN will usually pass on this reduction accordingly.

"After pressure from industry regulator Ofcom, the company [BT] has agreed to reduce by 60% "the prices it charges rivals to use its network for broadband and telephone services," explains The Scotsman. The price drop will come into effect no later than September 1st and could drop by a further 10%, depending on demand."

Let's see if PlusNet actually do bring their ADSL prices down! Wink
N/A

Can i ask where you saw that?

That still looks like the news on the 70% off LLU rollout price reductions, which has no bearing on the PlusNet supplied product at this time, as they do not use LLU products.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

re price drops: think back to the 0800 ISP's and the £5.99/7.99 per month fly by night ISP's. Do you remember how long that lasted before they became saturated and went bust?

I moved to plusnet at that time as they weren't the cheapest 56k ISP but had good reviews for providing what they said they did when others where going bust and leaving many without connections.

But even still PN still got caught out with DSL demand and had to rollout the Fat pipe upgrades faster than I think they had planned for, where other ISP's didn't or couldn't. So if the service is worth it are you willing to pay for it?

Ok I still have my issues with the PN billing dept. but waiting for the new system to come live, just hope as in Van Helsing they find the right Battery for it or it won't live Wink
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Looks like it's from here (you'll need to login, just use BugMeNot).