Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spamming by Drexhost & China.com &ezhostss

Routefinder
Grafter

Hi All

Anyone else getting a steady stream of spam from the above offering hosting.

I did a trace of Drexhost and though their website says their servers are in the USA the trace shows them as based in Yuan in China.

Heh, PlusNet any chance of stopping these guys at the gate before they get to fill my mailbox? Cool
9 REPLIES
N/A

If you are not using the Security package, then spam filtering is included.

If you are, I sugest using the link:contact us system, and raise the fact that spam in now gettin through the filters.

Spammers come up with new methods all the time,and old filters need upgrading.
Routefinder
Grafter

Security Package? Will have to look at my account settings again and "Contact Us" as needed.

Thanks for the pointer.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Unnecessary quote removed, as it was just a duplicate of the whole of the previous post.]
csogilvie
Grafter

If you are not using the Security package, then spam filtering is included.
Don't you mean if you are using the Security package?
Routefinder
Grafter

OK.

I have looked at the various settings in my Account and can not find a ref to Security Package. :?

So, unless anyone can advise otherwise I will Contact Us for further feedback.

TIA Smiley
N/A

csogilive - Looks like I missed hlaf of my sentance.

It should have read a little somthing like this

If you are not using the Security package, then spam filtering is included when purchased seperatly.

designer - See the "Services" link on the left of this screen
Routefinder
Grafter

OK I have found the item under services.

I see the Security Package is aimed at those who have little appreciation of the need for protecting their system. Sorry, I do not mean to sound judgemental but as is widely reported folk forget that without protection of some sort it is like leaving your house with the front door open when you go out to work.

I already use Firewall (including being behind a NAT firewall), Anti virus and my limited VPN needs are accounted for.

All I therefore need is the Spam Filtering and at £2.50 per month, bearing in mind the cost of my BB connection, that is expensive.

A pity PlusNet do not instigate Spam Filtering as a matter of routine in all their accounts, considering how prevalent it is and likely to clog up mail servers.
N/A

A pity PlusNet do not instigate Spam Filtering as a matter of routine in all their accounts, considering how prevalent it is and likely to clog up mail servers.

This is exactly why they don't perform filtering as standard.

This is an old topic which has covered ground many times.

In short, it would cost thousands to impliment such a feature, and then thousands more to maintain it.

This is not somthing that could be implimented without a pricerise accross the entire product range.

Have you seen how much ISPs charge for this to come as standard?

Here is a quick sample of ISPs.

BT Yahoo! Boradband = £29.99 / month
AOL Boradband = £27.99 / month
PlusNet Easy Start = £24.99 / Month
N/A

AFAIK, the "spam filtering" option just marks the titles of messages with "SPAM -", so the mailserver would be just as clogged.

If they started taking further action (deleting suspected spam) before it reached the user's mailbox, there would be an outcry. People would be annoyed that one or two non-spam emails were deleted by PlusNet.
N/A

If you require spam filtering, and cannot pay the price that Plusnet request, then I suggest you take a look at this: http://www.openhandhome.com/howtosa260.html

It is a brilliant guide, telling you how to get the perl based SpamAssassin filter working on Windows.
Note: the easiest proxy to setup that I found on the previously mentioned url was SAPP(http://www.nickdafish.com/SAPP.htm).

Hope this helps Smiley