cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spammed to death

N/A

Spammed to death

Dispite being very careful about signing up to anything that will get me onto a US mailing list the spammers have found me.
Why does the plusnet server put emails in my account which have been created as spam such as x@username.plus.com ?
Surely it should only allow genine stuff with the correct message ?

Can i start a fresh ?
Messege rules are still not stopping all that it should.

Cheers Sean
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Spammed to death

anything@username.plus.com is a valid email address as far as your email account is concerned so PlusNet will not block it just because you don't have that email address setup specifically. Also PlusNet do not have spam filtering as standard, it is a payfor premium service.

There have been lots of requests/ideas raised on how to improve/solve this situation and deal with spamming but nothing will be changed until the new webmail software / portal is available.

Check out the ideas forum for details.

I'm not sure what you mean by start again? If you mean change your username I don't think that is possible.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Spammed to death

Hi,

The mail servers have no way of knowing if email is genuine or not. A lot of people use the catch all facility of the default mailbox, myself included. Whenever I sign up to anything I put the name of whatever I'm signing up to before the @ symbol, but don't set up a mailbox for each.

If all the spam is coming into one email address then you can create a redirect to forward them to blackhole@abuse.plus.com, or if you just use 1 or 2 addresses set up mailboxes for these and let all the spam sit in the default mailbox.
csogilvie
Grafter

Spammed to death

anything@username.plus.com is a vaild email address, not .net Peter.
Community Veteran

Spammed to death

.net .com .grr :?
Community Veteran

Re: Spammed to death

Can i start a fresh ?
Messege rules are still not stopping all that it should.

Cheers Sean

Message rules are not the answer here.
What you need to do is to set up a specific named mailbox under the Email Settings option.

Then arrange that you mail client only collects mail from that address. All the other mail will just sit in the default mailbox which if you so wish you can clear out now and again using the Web mail options.
N/A

Spammed to death

Thanks everyone for the input, john essex if you have the time could you elaborate further i'm a bit thick ?
Also anyone know of a effective spam killer application ?
Many thanks

Cheers Sean :?:
Community Veteran

Spammed to death

Ok lets try and explain some more.

If you go to Email settings on the left of this screen you will see a "Configure mailboxes Icon.
Click on this and it will take you to a screen showing you what mailboxes you have setup or allow you to set them up.
Click on the ADD MAILBOX button and enter the name you want for this box and also what password you want to use.
for now just use your login password (you can always change it later)
Lets say for example that you want a box called sean. So you would enter sean and the password then click the SUBMIT button.
You will then see that the box has appeared on the list.
It takes a little while for the box to become active so while it is being set up its time to go and make the changes on your e-mail client.

I will assume that you are using outlook express here.
Open Outlook espress and sellect Tools from the menu and then Accounts from the dropdown box.
Click on add on the box that appeares and then Mail from the options.

Go through the procedure of setting up a mail account and use skelly+sean as the account name. Then the password for the box you set up earlier (I did suggest your normal password for now)

Once you have set up the new mail account then you can send yourself a test mail to sean@******** (I wont write it in full so the spammers dont see it)

If you then try and receive this by just your normal account then it shouldn't get through.
If however you check for mail under the account for sean then you should get it.

If you need any further help then just ask.
N/A

Spammed to death

is there a way to do this with my existing name?? i mean all my contacts have me as chivalry@..... it being my default email.. but if i try to set up a mailbox using that name, because is my default it wont allow me to make a second with the same name....... hard to explain i hope u understand Smiley
Community Veteran

Spammed to death

No chivalry is your default mailbox and as such already exists.
Have a look ot the existing boxes shown under your Email settings.
You will have to use a different name there I'm afraid.