Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam defence

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Spam defence

I have heard that everyone is experiencing a dramatic increase in Spam and wondered whether that is universally correct ? Despite using spam filters and every tool posible, I am under heavy attack - 40-50 per day (many tagged as spam by PN). Before I take drastic action, is this level exceptional or fairly typical at present ?

My problem is that I have my own domain, and therefore I am an easy target as anything addressed to anyone@mydomain.co.uk will get through. One way to deal with the problem is to limit my acceptable addresses, which will be inconvenient but before I do that, it would help to know other people's current experience. If creating further inconvenience to myself is only going to be short-lived before it starts again, there is not much point in doing it.

For that reason I am adding a poll so that everyone can share experiences.
8 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Spam defence

Although im not getting as many as you i have seen a big increase in spam coming through my mailbox recently and i would say in my case its gone from about 5 to 15 a day to over 20 to 35+ in the last month alone and is increasing so yes it probably is fairly typical at present, ive also seen many others complaining about the recent increase on various forums

I turned the plusnet spam filter of as i found it to be a bit of a nuisance at the time (6 months ago) and now use spamihilator which seems to work quite well but takes a little time before its learning filter has really kicked in as you need to train it but it now catches all bar three or four a day usually so is not bad at all

Bill.
shermans
Rising Star

Spam defence

Yes, the problem is really that, while the various filters can catch the spam, nevertheless sometimes innocent email gets caught inadvertently as well, and so I have to check briefly even the sender / subject of spam tagged mail. Before, it did not matter, because the spam filter would reject the mail and send a notification of rejection to the sender, who would then realise there was a problem, but these days I get probably a dozen bogus "delivery failure" noticces per day where someone has hi-jacked my address and used it as the sender's address, that I don't take any notice of read failure noties any more and doubt if anyone else does.

One thing I do recommend - I have a Tiscali.co.uk email address as a dumping ground. Whenever I give my email address to a stranger - for instance when buying on-line - I use the Tiscali address which I only ever look at if I am expecting something like a buying invoice or confirmation etc. That way, I am not broadcasting my real email address to anyone else, because they can send as much garbage as they like to Tiscali, and I just go in and delete the lot once a month without looking !
N/A

Spam defence

How about an option of zero. From memory I believe that I have not received one spam email in the last 3 years.
N/A

Re: Spam defence

I have heard that everyone is experiencing a dramatic increase in Spam and wondered whether that is universally correct ? Despite using spam filters and every tool posible, I am under heavy attack - 40-50 per day (many tagged as spam by PN). Before I take drastic action, is this level exceptional or fairly typical at present ?

My problem is that I have my own domain, and therefore I am an easy target as anything addressed to anyone@mydomain.co.uk will get through. One way to deal with the problem is to limit my acceptable addresses, which will be inconvenient but before I do that, it would help to know other people's current experience. If creating further inconvenience to myself is only going to be short-lived before it starts again, there is not much point in doing it.

For that reason I am adding a poll so that everyone can share experiences.

I get around this by running my own mail server adding about 3 dnsbl's and using spamassasin it reduces mine to a more suitable level to less than 10 a day with no false positives.
shermans
Rising Star

Spam defence

I am concerned to see that more than a third of respondents are receiving more than 50 spams per day. It is alarming. It would however be nice if there were a few more voters to get the real picture. Only 20% of those who have read the thread have actualyl taken the trouble to vote.

If spam continues to grow at this level, it will eventually bring email communication to a halt. In the end, people will revert to other forms of communication because they will not be able to see the wood for the trees, and will give up. That is a very worrying scenario. The only possible advantage is that it might - and I say might advisedly - force governments to intervene to try to control the internet in some way, because lack of a viable email network will undermine much of the e-progress there has been in all walks of life. It may therefore at last force some international governmental intervention like some kind of licensing. Who knows ?

Who generates all this rubbish ? I cannot believe it is all students and kids still. It achieves nothing, unless the ultimate aim is really just anarchy, in which case governments have a duty to introduce controls.
N/A

Spam defence

Perhaps the 80% that have not voted receive no spam and therefore believe it would be misleading to select Less than 10 Cheesy
shermans
Rising Star

Spam defence

pchambers

I would add a Less than Zero as you requested if I could, but unfortunately you cannot edit a poll ( on reflection, for obvious reasons, because it would distort the existing responses.

But I would be amazed if you were not an exception if you have never received any spam in your life. I do not believe for one moment that 80% never receive any spam. Perhaps you could let us into the secret of how you stop / avoid it, because I am sure everyone would wish to emulate you.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Duplicate post removed.
N/A

Spam defence

I did not say that I have not received spam, only that I have not received spam on my PN account in the last 3 years. In the past I have had spam and closed email accounts down because of the large number. Since that time I am very careful who I give my email address to.