cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Quality as of April 2006

N/A

Hi, I haven't quite had the time to test plustalk yet but have beeen reading various threads etc about call quality provided by Plustalk. Some have found it appallling and others have found it good. Obviously, these thread have been at various times since Plustalk was launched. Now, as with every service, there will always be teething problems etc until the system becomes bedded in and mature etc. and i'm sure Plustalk has suffered this.
My question is..... as off this month (April 2006), has the call quality issue eg dropped calls, noise etc been resolved and are the majority of users happy with the service provided by Plustalk?
36 REPLIES
N/A

Call quality on Plustalk

I've been using Plustalk through Asterisk for the last month and I just added a VoipCheap account. The Voipcheap calls sound surprisingly clear (landline quality) compared to the Plustalk calls that sound muffled.

I have also noticed that Plustalk seems to force Asterisk to use the gsm codec which is said to be economical on bandwidth but with mobile phone quality. I just found that I can significantly improve Plustalk call quality (to landline quality) by configuring Asterisk so that it will not use the gsm codec, thereby forcing Plustalk to use the ulaw codec.
N/A

Well i am amazed by this!

PlusTalk is trash trust me - no matter what codec!!!!

However, to say mobile quality is poor is a joke! My mobile phone quality on three and voda is better than most landlines so that is a crazy comparitor!
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have found no problem with the audio quality of PlusTalk. I think it's all down to the equipment used, poor quality equipment = poor quality audio.
N/A

If i was using substandard equipment, how come the call quality on skype is absolutely fantastic?
N/A

If i was using substandard equipment, how come the call quality on skype is absolutely fantastic?

As I mentioned to you in another thread, it is entirely possible that Skype has larger jitter buffers on the user agents. This will reduce the effects of jitter at the expense of increased latency. The PlusTalk gateway appears to have about 100ms jitter buffers (from my own experimentation) which means that just two large out of place packets on your upstream connection can introduce audible artifacts so QoS traffic queuing is reasonably important.

It could, of course, be argued that Plus should use dynamic jitter buffers to automatically compensate for people with poor connections at the expense of increased latency, but I don't know if their gateway supports this.

I've posted my working QoS queuing config at http://www.nexusuk.org/~steve/qos.sh.txt incase it is of use to anyone. The UPSTREAM variable should be set slightly below your maximum upstream throughput and the DOWNSTREAM variable should be slightly below your maximum downstream throughput.
N/A

Hi there,

I use Plus Talk both at home and in work. I have had no issues with the quality of calls either inbound or outbound.

In the office we use a variety of headsets and handsets and experience no problems or difficulties.
pacem
Grafter

If PlusNet use the standard free GSM codec from here: http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html (and it is very likely that they do as this codec seems to be used in most GSM codecs I have seen) then they may have a little audio quality problem.

Last week I discovered a bug in the encode source code that causes slight scratching and static like noises to be heared in the GSM audio. This bug in my experience only shows itself only on highly multithreaded software on machines with more than one CPU (or possibly a hyperthreaded CPU).

The maintainer did say he would update the source but as yet it's still on patch level 11, so if PN want an early fix they can email me.

Paul.<><
N/A

I'm using a standard BT phone through a Speedtouch 716. The person on the other end of the call can hear slight crackling, but sound quality is clear for the caller. Any thoughts?
fotobits
Rising Star

Do all recipients hear the same crackling?
N/A

Yup. As far as I can tell. Everyone I've asked has reported crackling. I've heard it myself when I asked my girlfriend to call me at work. It was mild, but still distracting.
pacem
Grafter

Well the PN server will be decoding your audio so it wont be any codec problem. I have noticed on a few other threads that the gamers are reporting latency problems, and have pinpointed one of the PN routers: lo0-plusnet.pte-ag1.plus.net (I think). If some packets are delayed so much that they have to be dropped then clicks may also be audiable depending on how dropped packets are concealed in the PN telephony servers.

If you think Skype is so good try calling someone in the same room and see how big the delay is compared with PN's PlusTalk.

Paul.<><
fotobits
Rising Star

When I experimented with the X-Lite softphone, performance was not altogether satisfactory for the recipient. However, since switching to an ATA 1100 'phone adaptor connected to my home 'phones, the performance is consistently indistinguishable from a normal landline call.

Although I thought I was using a good sound card, I feel that it contributed to poor performance and the softphone was unsatisfactory for normal day-to-day use.

For what it's worth I use Codec 729a, which is what PlusTalk uses, isn't it?

Regards......Noel

PS The ATA 1100 offers the flexibilty of accepting both VoIP calls and PSTN calls automatically, defaults to VoIP outgoing calls, but allows outgoing calls to be PSTN on pressing a button!
Community Veteran

I've tried out PlusTalk with X-Lite and a CyberPhone K and it was as though the person I was talking to was in the next room (actually downstairs but near enough the same thing). Much better line quality than the BT landline, actually! I couldn't use it till now because my old router would seize up and cut me off the internet but the replacement I've just bought works a treat.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

I've found the quality to be so poor, I'm ditching it.