cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some real newbie questions

N/A

Some real newbie questions

Trying to get to grips with the VOIP stuff.

Last thing outstanding, how do I (can I) still recieve calls to my normal landline number?

Do I need a phone plugged into the microfilter as I do now to recieve calls to my old number and also a phone plugged into whatever adapter/router I use for the VOIP.

Are incoming calls to the VIOP account 'true' local calls. So for example if someone has free local and evening calls and phones my VOIP number form a normal landline what do they pay?

TIA

Mark
2 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Some real newbie questions

how do I (can I) still recieve calls to my normal landline number?

Yes, VoIP is a totally separate phone service to your normal landline. Think of VoIP as an additional phone line.

Do I need a phone plugged into the microfilter as I do now to recieve calls to my old number and also a phone plugged into whatever adapter/router I use for the VOIP.

No, you do not need a microfilter for your VoIP SIP phone. However, you do need a separate analogue telephone for your VoIP service and also an analogue adapter such as the Linksys PAP2. The alternative is to make calls using your computer and SIP software such as X-lite. Your options are usefully summarised here by Rivendell2.

Are incoming calls to the VIOP account 'true' local calls. So for example if someone has free local and evening calls and phones my VOIP number form a normal landline what do they pay?

A normal landline has an 01 or 02 number so 0845 numbers do not count towards free local and evening landline calls.

Incoming calls to the 0845 number are EXPENSIVE. Depending on the network that is calling you, I have seen prices as high as 7p/minute for weekday daytime calls to 0845 numbers. You are correct to question whether they are 'true' local calls from the price viewpoint.
N/A

Re: Some real newbie questions

Incoming calls to the 0845 number are EXPENSIVE. Depending on the network that is calling you, I have seen prices as high as 7p/minute for weekday daytime calls to 0845 numbers. You are correct to question whether they are 'true' local calls from the price viewpoint.

I've asked this before, but I'm gonna ask it again incase someone with the answer is reading Smiley

- Is anyone aware of anyone providing a freebee geographic inbound number other than SipGate (who seem to have some stability problems - I frequently get registration timeouts)
- Is PlusTalk planning on providing geographic numbers at some point in the future? It seems that if PN are expecting people to use PlusTalk as their primary phone connection they really can't expect people to use an 0845 number.