cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Mozilla/Thunderbird mailbox questions

N/A

Hi,
Please excuse me if I've overlooked some important information here.

I've been having password problems accessing my mailboxes using either Mozilla or Thunderbird. Is the use of either of these mail applications supported by PlusNet?

I have no trouble accessing my mailboxes with Outlook but I'd like to have functional alternatives. It's one thing for PlusNet to support Microsoft products for email but does this need to be exclusively?

I've read previous threads where users have written of similar problems using Mozilla/Thunderbird for mail. In most of these threads PlusNet moderators have replied that Mozilla/Thunderbird work OK when accessing PlusNet mailboxes. References to various possible misconfigurations were mentioned by them but I saw no convincing feedback about the problems having been resolved.

If, as the moderators suggest, Mozilla/Thunderbird work ok for mail, is it not possible, considering the level of interest in this topic, for Plusnet to provide instructions on configuration settings that will work?

I know that these problems aren't confined to PlusNet. It seems that many users accessing a variety of ISPs are having similar difficulties.
Can it really be that programs like Mozilla and Thunderbird are so badly structured? Or is it that Microsoft have a lot more clout with ISPs than their subscribers do?

Regards,
Mike
4 REPLIES
kilmar
Dabbler

I`ve been using Thunderbird on a standalone computer for some time now and apart from problems mentioned in a different thread it`s fine.

What problems are you having?
lowry
Grafter

Mozilla Thunderbird works fine with my PlusNet mailbox here. Can you describe the issues you are having in more detail here?

matt Wink
N/A

I`ve been using Thunderbird on a standalone computer for some time now and apart from problems mentioned in a different thread it`s fine.

Hi ,
thanks for the reply,
I was referring to previous threads where a significant number of people couldn't access the mail server due to the password not being accepted. I get the error message: "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.plus.net responded: Login failed.
Apart from this, it *is* fine.Smiley
N/A

Mozilla Thunderbird works fine with my PlusNet mailbox here. Can you describe the issues you are having in more detail here?

matt Wink

Thanks for the opportunity. Smiley
I've tried a range of config settings based on suggestions made in previous threads about the same problem: An inability to login due to the password not being accepted by the server.

What I've seen in other threads is a variety of well meaning "try this... try that" suggestions made by people including official PlusNet representatives. These suggestions weren't confirmed as being valid fixes and they didn't work for me.

When I was using Outlook Express PlusNet provided a short list of simple instructions for setting up the program to access mailboxes. Easy to apply and it worked fine.

If, with the right configuration, it is possible to use Thunderbird with PlusNet Mailboxes., is it also possible for the Plusnet technical staff to provide a similar short, simple list of configuration settings that will allow Thunderbird to access PlusNet Mailboxes?