cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solwise 130 router + firewall

N/A

Hi,

Just got connected and I have this router.

Is there a best practices guide for BB with a router and/or some firewall rule sets which are considered to be de facto?

Also, how secure is this router firewall? Should it be used in conjunction with a software firewall on the PC? Anyone have an horror stories/must not dos?

Cheers,
Norris
5 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Follow the instructions here http://www.sarguide.co.uk/
to stealth the router.

And yes you need a software firewall as well since the router only protects against unsolicited stuff coming in, not against bad programs sending stuff out.
N/A

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I run Kerio anyway but wondered if I could cut down on the amount that Kerio does has to do (to avoid duplication). Presumably, I can drop all the 'inbound' firewall rules and just use the application monitor (the dialog which determines which applications are allowed to do what wrt the net) ?

Cheers,
Norris
Alecto
Grafter

Hi Norris

I can't see what you'd gain there.

My software firewall is set up just as it was when I was on dialup before I had the router.
I suppose it's a "belt and braces" mentality, but I'd rather have software checking that the hardware is doing its job (where possible.)

Geoff
Community Veteran

I would leave kerio to monitor both inbound and outbound connections. That way, if you mess up the hardware firewall config you will still be protected.
N/A

Hi,

I should explain that the driver for my question was online gaming with my ageing rig and trying to reduce the amount of background tasks/RAM used; i.e. binning Kerio and playing via an empty "gaming" user account under XP.

You're right, though, with the belt and braces - I was just thinking that it seems a bit daft to have a software firewall going through the motions when there is a 'more secure' firewall there in the first place...

I was then going to set the router up in stealth mode as suggested in the link provided by Geoff then perform a few firewall tests to ensure that it's actually blocking OK. However, I know that nothing is perfect and if the router was totally secure, the NSA would be using them by the bucketload Wink so I'll try keep both.

Cheers,
Norris