cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Firewalls & Thermite/CopyCat Test

N/A

Hi All,

Found this when reviewing different software firewalls, and it makes for depressing reading.

Firewall Leak Tests

I'm now considering trying look'n''stop. Anyone know anything about it?

Aaron
11 REPLIES
N/A

thats gotta be wrong... *shrug* goes to find out about looknstop
N/A

Hi Andy,

I was quite shocked as well, so I'm off to look at look'n'stop as well. Although I'm currently trialing Outpost 2.5

Aaron
N/A

and za came so high.. whats wrong with these ppl :S *installs looknstop*
N/A

Let me know how you get on with Look'n'stop.

Cheers,

Aaron
Community Veteran

A word or warning.... That webpage is only testing the exploits listed and does not indicate the quality or suitability of any of the firewalls for general use. Just because it happens to protect against the listed exploits does not mean it's general functionality is good at protecting against other things like port scans and more importantly it's reliability and compatibility with other software you have running on your PC.

You also have to consider how frequently some of the exploits shown actually occur and the fact the tests are only a fraction of the types of things a firewall is expected to protect against. I.e. just because this test gives a high mark to a firewall does not mean it's the best firewall for your situation.

Good luck with your testing and post back your findings.
N/A

Hi Peter,

Yes you've got a good point there, and I have a feeling the results page does mention this sort of thing later on.

I'm also considering buying Process Guard, as this actually prevents the firewall being breached by preventing the trojan etc. from ever running. The downside being that you did need to know you have a clean machine to start off with, and have some knowledge of what processes are required outside the knowledge built into the software.

Aaron
N/A

well its installed easy enough on ma test box and i been hitting it with all kinds of "things" to test it out, it seems pritty good.. doesnt like some stuff that sygate can handle, and also it isnt as easy to set up as sygate and the logging is worse, however it does perfom quite well and is not that much of a system hog Smiley maybe sygate + looknstop would be good Smiley
N/A

Well I have to say I'm pretty impressed with Outpost 2.5, it's logging is brilliant and you can tailor it all with filters.

The firewall has many features, so you can either let it setup the rules, or tailor you own. In addition you can add addition plugins to add extra features. I've added the blockpost one, to block out dodgy IP addys.

As for resource, it uses very little even with blockpost running.

Upon further digging around, I've found that Process Guard 3, the latest version. Actually prevents CopyCat and Thermite from breaching the firewall in the first place :-) and would do the same with any trojan or software of such nature. :-)

However I am starting to consider how many of these sort of tools that I really need. I mean you can go too far. lol

Aaron
N/A

u can?? humm is gadget turning to the dark site?
N/A

Dark side or site? lol never. But I do have a large amount of applications to combat spyware, trojans etc. and they do eat some resource (when you take all of them in to consideration) .

Aaron
N/A

side. or.. site (www.aol.com :p)

ma bad on the typo