cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Softphone recomentation

Nick_Russell
Grafter

Softphone recomentation

:?: Can anyone suggest a VoIP softphone to use with a SIP service? I have tried X-Lite and X-Pro. The actual softphone looks good but the operation is not very user friendly. It is a bit clumsy adding new address book entries and dialling from address book, or adding new services.

Ideally I am looking for a SIP softphone that is as easy to use and as good looking as Skype.

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Softphone recomentation

SJphone is an alternative software, the quality with microphone and headphones is a little better. http://www.sjlabs.com/ I use that.

If you download and use it, right click the 'face' and select options >>>>>>>>> profiles, then create a new profile.

I purchased a Waitec E-ZI VOIP USB phone, a download of the SJPhone-mate software and the quality is as good as a Land Line phone. The phone was just under £23-00. Being impatient i ordered it and paid the p&p, total under £30-00.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Softphone recomentation

Express Talk softphone.

Found this....its great. Very easy to set up and MUCH easier to use than X-Lite

http://www.nch.com.au/talk/

I would suggest Plus Talk users try this - the softphone looks very similar to Skype and very easy to add address book entries.

During set-up when prompted select the option something like "I already have a SIP account" and add Plus Talk details.
N/A

Softphone recomentation

Can you use a usb phone with that ?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Softphone recomentation

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but Express Talk and X-Lite are software phones (so-called softphones as there is no hardware necessary to use except microphone/loudspeaker or headset attached to your PC/laptop).

If by USB phone you mean headset, yes this is fine - it works just like X-Lite but it’s just easier to use and looks much better.

I am not an expert on such matters but if you are talking about a dedicated VoIP hardware telephone I understood this plugs into a router and not a USB port, and I’m not sure either X-Lite or Express talk would be necessary.
N/A

Softphone recomentation

You can purchase VOIP hardware phones that plug into a USB, most (if not all) require sofware to connect them. see this thread
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Softphone recomentation

I don't know but Express Talk is free - why not try it?

What is the advantage of a USB hardware telephone that plugs into a PC compared with a headset or built in microphone/speakers in a laptop? Other hardware VoIP telephones will work with PC turned off if they connect to a router, but a USB telephone will presumably need PC on so why not use headset or build in devices?
N/A

Softphone recomentation

I don't know but Express Talk is free - why not try it?

What is the advantage of a USB hardware telephone that plugs into a PC compared with a headset or built in microphone/speakers in a laptop?

They give better audio quality.