cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 Firewall

Stef
Grafter

You may have noticed that Microsoft has come out with some very attractive pricing for SBS2003.

I have been told that one of SBS's features is an uprated software firewall that can support two NIC's configured thus:-

NIC1 - to NAT h/w firewall/ADSL modem

NIC2 - to internal network (Say of 5 client PC's)

I have also been told that it was recomended that the 5 client PC's should route their internet traffic (e.g. HTTP) through the SBS server - which indeed they would have to to get to the modem on NIC1.

I further understand that clients participating in such networks have to have their ICF's switched off (thus they have to rely on the software firewalling of the server).

Any thoughts about this set up?

Many thanks, Stefan
5 REPLIES
N/A

You could do it that way but if you think about it its silly as all connections are going throught your server. The server is the one thing you wish to protect more so than your workstartions.

Its a lot safer to just use a Nat router and let everyone access the net as normal. You could use a old pc and put a proxy server on it and let everyone connect through that which is even safer. The problem with 2003(apart from the security holes make sure you patch against the worm) is it comes with a lot of security whic is complicated to set up so people turn things off just to get it working making it useless.

Setting up any SBS server is a nightmare at the best of times so keeping away from the internet makes sense. Like a lot of these SBS they have to many high risk things running on one pc. Normaly you would have a server for sql, exchange etc on seperate boxes so the whole lot didnt come tumbling down if one server dies.
Stef
Grafter

Many thanks,

I appreciate your input
You kind of confirmed what I was thinking...

:-(

Hey Ho - Cheers & have a Happy New year :-)
Stef
Grafter

I have to set up a small office in London soon, so when I have I will try and remember to detail the solution here. - The postings re routers/firewalls/servers etc have been v useful over the last few months.

Also the ADSL 500 at home just rocks!
(That means it is excellent!)

Cool
N/A

Where are you looking for these great prices - we're looking too, we're looking to move from SBS 4.5 :-(
Stef
Grafter

Where are you looking for these great prices - we're looking too, we're looking to move from SBS 4.5 :-(

See http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/software/operatingsystems/

But I think I have now decided to go for:

Vigor Firewall/Router + A simple WinXP-Pro server for file/print sharing & backup for each office + enforced password policy (Easy to support, cheap & reasonably secure).

Cheers, Stefan